Why does my kombucha turn sour so quickly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I've made about 4 batches of kombu but i have never drink it because after just 4-5 days it was juat like vinegar. I read about a "balancing act" where you should put some fermented tea and let it until a new scoby has formed, throw the scoby away, and let the liquid make another scoby, but mine doesn't formed the second scoby. I don't know what to do anymore.
Sorry for my engrish, i am romanian...:)

Hi, I am new to this and would like to try out Kombucha. Can I grow the Scoby from scratch in a fresh brew? And how long will that take in the brew to grow?

Hi, I am new to this and would like to try out Kombucha. Can I grow the Scoby from scratch in a fresh brew? And how long will that take in the brew to grow?

Hello!
You can grow a new scoby but you will need a bottle of un-pasteurized kombucha. If you can find this, will need to make some green tea with about 70-80 grams of sugar per litre of tea and dump the kombucha in it. in about 3-4 weeks you should get a brand new scoby:)

Back