Can't get beer to dispense from my kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfreck

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging and have two kegs ready to drink in my dual tap tower kegerator for the first time.

Unfortunately, when I open the faucet, nothing comes out of the keg and into the beer lines. When I release the pressure valve on the kegs, co2 purges out, so I know it's not the co2 in the kegs. Also, when I push down on each poppet, beer sprays out. I double checked, and the gas and out lines (ball lock) are connected on the correct sides.

My lines at 6' of Bevlex 200, my fridge is at about 35 degrees (just turned the temparture up to try to get it a little warmer) and I've tried at 12 psi and 20 psi.

I'm stumped, does anybody have any suggestions?

Is your QD properly assembled, ie the pin and spring are in the connector? If beer sprays out when you depress the poppet yet not when you hook up the QD...then the liquid line must be the problem, in which case its likely the assembly of the QD or tap.

I had a bad tap. When I opened it all the way nothing would come out but when I opened it halfway I got beer. Try opening your tap slowly to see if its bad

Yeah perhaps your taps are mis-assembled. The QD is pretty straightforward. If there is a pin inside that depresses with pressure from your finger, it's working properly. Does the line have any beer in it? Usually my liquid line fills up when I connect it. That would also suggest a bad tap or mis-assembled tap.

I saw another one of these threads a few months back where a guy was brand new to kegging and simply didn't have his QD's seated all the way down on the liquid posts. Are you certain you have yours all the way down and locked in place? It can be an easy mistake to make - and I know I have at least one keg that's VERY difficult to get the liquid QD properly engaged on.

^^^Agree. Make sure it's seated all the way down. I've kegged a lot of brews and still sometimes don't seat the QD all the way down every now and again. Just double check everything. The parts of a kegging system aren't rocket science and should easily be figured out where the issue lies. Gas in, keg holding co2, beer out. It's either your QD or Tap

Thanks for the responses,

Both the pin and springs are inside the QD. Also, I just tried to put all of my weight on the QD and twist it in, so I think it's down all of the way. Lastly, I opened the taps slowly, but still nothing.

Do you know how I would check to see if the taps are faulty? I've tightened everything by the taps too, so I'm still stumped.

Is your fridge too cold? I've set mine too cold before and froze the beer

I don't think that's it. If I press in the poppet, beer sprays out.

Is there any chance that the liquid line on the keg has the wrong connect on the top of the keg? I know there is a long dip tube on the liquid line, but I have a feeling the connection on the keg is too long and may be a gas line.

Either that or it's the taps. I'm not sure how to approach fixing those.

Thanks for the responses,

Both the pin and springs are inside the QD. Also, I just tried to put all of my weight on the QD and twist it in, so I think it's down all of the way. Lastly, I opened the taps slowly, but still nothing.

Do you know how I would check to see if the taps are faulty? I've tightened everything by the taps too, so I'm still stumped.

The qd clicks' right? You pull up the outer ring and snap it down untik it clicks on, right?

Wow.. I had no idea that I could pull up on the outer ring! It snapped in place without pulling up on it, so I was confused why it wouldn't work.

It worked like a charm! Thank you very much for your help!

Wow.. I had no idea that I could pull up on the outer ring! It snapped in place without pulling up on it, so I was confused why it wouldn't work.

It worked like a charm! Thank you very much for your help!

Glad its working now

Back