Any thoughts on what this is??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski1975

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease here. I transferred this batch after 2 weeks in primary 3 days ago to dry hop. OG was 1.068 and FG is 1.008. Everything looked fine 3 days ago and then I see this odd growth? that I can't seem to place. Is this a bacteria of some sort??

100_0403.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

It looks like the stuff I see floating on top of the first tank of a wastewater treatment plant.

Did you sanitize the hop bag (ie star San, vodke, etc)? Could also be the hops kicking in some yeast. Did the gravity change?

Yes I did sanitize the hops bag, I thought maybe yeast but after transferring to the secondary I'd be surprised to see this amount. Never seen it like this before??

Well Brewski, it looks like it might be some sort of contamination. I'd use a thief and draw a sample - for gravity and taste.
How does it smell?

You know the alcohol in it should have prevented contamination (unless you sneezed in it).

You got me, but if it tastes and smells OK, don't get rid of it.

I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease here. I transferred this batch after 2 weeks in primary 3 days ago to dry hop. OG was 1.068 and FG is 1.008. Everything looked fine 3 days ago and then I see this odd growth? that I can't seem to place. Is this a bacteria of some sort??

O my sir.....

Back