Are you brewing (doing) anything special for Dec 21 (the end of the world)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
I thought about what I should do in honor of the end of the Mayan Calendar and the obligatory end of the world that must accompany such an important event (Last words of the Mayan Calendar Keeper: "This'll mess with the whiteman's head!").

I'm thinking about brewing on that day and figured nothing would be better then a Bitter for such a bitter event and of course, since this will only happen once (at least until the next loon predicts something like this) it should be extra special. So I think I'll brew an Extra Special Bitter. Besides, I may have to fight my way through Zombies to get back to the fermenters, so it should be something worth fighting for.

Here's my recipe, so far. It will likely change between now and then, unless the asteroids start falling a bit early.

Name: The Bitter End

Grain:
9lbs Marris Otter Pale Malt
1lb Caramel Malt 40L
1/2lb Victory Malt (It will be to celebrate victory over the Zombies)

Hops:
1oz. Pioneer (60 min)
1oz. Bramling Cross (15 min)
1 oz. Bramling Cross (5 min)
I'm using UK hops since it might be the last taste of anything from the other side of the pond until we rebuild the world.

Yeast: Wyeast 1335, British Ale II

Beer Smith gives a potential alcohol of 5.7%. Anything under 5% just wouldn't be right for the apocalypse.

That looks nice. I will be going to work, as usual, last day before an 11 day break. Boring as it might sound, some of us are aware of another employee (highly disregarded, unfortunately) who will be breaking a pretty big rule, thus making it her "last day." It should be interesting!

The 21st will be one day shy of 2 weeks that my 2nd pm pale will be in the fermenter. I changed up some ingredients that were in the midwest cascade pale to make my own version. A bit golden brown so far.
2lb rahr 2-row
2lb marris otter
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb carapils
1lb Munton's plain light DME
2lb Munton's plain extra light DME
.5oz super alpha hops 60min
1oz motueka 20min
1oz pacifica 10min
2)7g Cooper's ale yeast packets I had in the fridge,re-hydrated at 90F
The color alone should keep the zombies guessing...:ban:

I had originally planned on brewing up a nice Dark Belgian Strong, but ran out of time and cash for ingredients, so I'll be kicking back with my last Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 and probably open up my last Double Bastard as well. Might bust out a nice cigar for the evening too.

Not brewing that day, but having a little End of the World/End of the Kickstarter pub meetup at the Blind Lady. All yall fellow HBTers are invited!

Not brewing, but leading a brewery tour of the Saya Brewery, followed by a class reunion. If the world doesn't end, I'll probably be wishing it had.

I'm going to a zombie themed metal show. No point in brewing if the world isn't going to be around for it to ferment. :p

I'm hosting a ugly sweater party where I'll be serving a half barrel of BM Cream of Three Crops made with a bit of sweet orange peel.

Also, took off work to brew my "panty dropper" imperial pale ale with pomegranate.

Christmas will be coming early for us this year as we will spend the End of the Earth moving into our new (to us) house and will be celebrating with a fresh keg of Watershed IPA from Oakshire Brewing dispensed from our new Danby 5.2 Cu.Ft. Keg Cooler.

Let's just hope the world lasts long enough to enjoy the beer.

I ended up brewing the batch from the OP. The only thing I had to change was the primary bittering hop. The LHBS didn't have Pioneer so I used 2 oz. of East Kent Goldings. The OG was 1.060. It is bubbling along happily--actually this best describes the brewer. I can't wait to taste it.

Really liking this beer. I think it will have to go in my regular rotation! I put it in a tap-a-draft system and just pulled my first glass. This also convinces me that I really do need to save up to make the switch to kegging.

Back