Tea infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchMySmile

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have another probably newb question. I plan on racking my first mead onto approx five pounds of dates and about two hundred raisins and I'm thinking I would like to include a tea infusion. I cannot find a good rule of thumb for quantities of tea to use for my five gallon batch and I was hoping someone experienced with infusions could give me a few pointers.

As always thanks in advance.

I personally havent tried it yet either but I have a really good chai yerba mate that I am considering using in an upcoming batch.

I have seen a few posts around about it and it seems like the average is about 4 tea bags worth per gallon which sounds reasonable since they will be steeping a lot longer than if you were making a cup of tea.

Don't know if that helps, but I think its the concentration I'm going to try with a one gallon batch, see he it goes.

I have tried a couple of cold steeped tea bags in my mead. One used 10 tea bags/gallon in the primary and it came out good IMO. That was "Raspberry Zinger tea" from celestial seasonings and the raspberry taste may have been a little stronger than intended but is working well. Another used 8 bags/gallon in primary & 4 in secondary. That one was a tea with more subtle flavors from chamomile but it came out smooth in the end.

This is good info, but just to clarify when you put your eight bags in primary are you leaving them in the whole time your mead is in primary? Thanks for the info! By the way I intend to use sleepy time tea from celestial seasonings, hopefully I can get some of that relaxing effect into the end product.

This is good info, but just to clarify when you put your eight bags in primary are you leaving them in the whole time your mead is in primary? Thanks for the info! By the way I intend to use sleepy time tea from celestial seasonings, hopefully I can get some of that relaxing effect into the end product.

Im planning a sleepy time tea as well, I figure with that and the alcohol Id have a great sleep aid.:tank:

Haha yeah I have trouble sleeping so I figured this would be a no miss. Although my mead will have a good bit of sugar I expect.

I left the bags in untill I did my first racking. so yes for the full primary. I saw the sleepy time too and think that would be great. I almost got that but went for the honey vanilla chamomile instead.

I personally havent tried it yet either but I have a really good chai yerba mate that I am considering using in an upcoming batch.

I have seen a few posts around about it and it seems like the average is about 4 tea bags worth per gallon which sounds reasonable since they will be steeping a lot longer than if you were making a cup of tea.

Don't know if that helps, but I think its the concentration I'm going to try with a one gallon batch, see he it goes.

Might I ask about the base mead recipe used for your chia mead?

I'm new at this and want to make a gallon or two using some Chai Guayusa tea bags from Stash Tea Co. Will this work with a basic mead ie, JAOM? I have two JAOMs going; one with D47 & one with 1118 (for dryer mead). Also, two basic meads (about the same as JAOM w/o the spices) one with D47 & one with 1118. And from what I'm reading, the D47's aren't coming out as well since my room temp is only 74 degrees. After trying a3 week mead, I found it way to sweet for my taste. I really haven't used the regular bakers yeast like the recipe suggests.

Might I ask about the base mead recipe used for your chia mead?

I'm new at this and want to make a gallon or two using some Chai Guayusa tea bags from Stash Tea Co. Will this work with a basic mead ie, JAOM? I have two JAOMs going; one with D47 & one with 1118 (for dryer mead). Also, two basic meads (about the same as JAOM w/o the spices) one with D47 & one with 1118. And from what I'm reading, the D47's aren't coming out as well since my room temp is only 74 degrees. After trying a3 week mead, I found it way to sweet for my taste. I really haven't used the regular bakers yeast like the recipe suggests.

I made a 1 gallon batch just to try it,

3.5 pounds of orange blossom honey
12 yerba mate chai blend tea bags
nutirents (step feeding)
water to a gallon
D-47

Came out great, fermented and cleared remarkably fast

Thank you. It seems I've read too many post and posted you twice about the subject. I really appreciate both responses. Thank You.

I am doing my first batch of mead and wanted to use natural nutrients so i sprinkled a bunch of Chinese green tea leaves (loose leaf) into my initial ferment. I just kind of eye balled it. I put in maybe 5-10 large 5 finger pinches of tea leaves. Based on what I have read around the interwebs, it takes quite a bit of tea to impart flavor so I did not think it would impacted my mead very much but less than a week in, I have a bit of color from the tea leaves and can smell a bit of green tea (not a bad thing at all). Most important of all is that my yeasties seem very very happy about it.

Edit: I did add the leaves into the must while i was doing a the initial heat sanitation so the probably steeped a little during that time though it was pretty brief.

My very first mead was just honey, water, random wine yeast and "honey vanilla chamomile tea" from celestial seasonings. It fermented well but the "vanilla" taste was completely gone, the chamomile was there though. From a nutrients standpoint it seemed to do pretty well. It ferment completely dry with a decent time frame in the total primary; however, further batches with proper nutrients like DAP and Nutriferm advanced all came out much much better.

Back