Competition category help please? Cheers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balue

Reaction score
New to entering brews so not too sure what I would enter the following under?

Chocolate Stout

Coffee Vanilla Porter

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew Talk

For the chocolate stout, how strong is the chocolate? If it's not a HUGE flavor, you might be able to get that into the standard stout categories. If it is a huge flavor, I'd recommend category 23.

For a coffee vanilla porter, I'm assuming the flavors are strong enough to put you into category 23 as well.

The Coffee Vanilla Porter would probably do better under category 23, but I think you'd get better feedback under the Porter category 12. You'd have to post your receipe and stats to figure out if it goes under 12A, 12B, or 12C.

Same kinda thing on the Chocolate Stout. It might compete better under 23, but you'll get better feedback under 13. A chocolate would probably fit under sub-category 13B.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Good luck in the competition!

Note sure on the stout yet it is still conditioning. Last time chocolate was barely there. This time around I doubled up on it but I also increased some of the specialty grains to step it up some. It was a very tasty brew just not stouty enough. So I am thinking the chocolate might just be a nice back note to the beer. Well that's the hope.

But I was afraid of conflicting categories although SWMBO did brew it with me and maintain ferm temps so I could have her enter the stout? She has recently started brewing and will be entering her WIT that is very tasty!

Thanks Topher I have some reading to do. I can post recipe this evening on the porter. If you have ever had Ballast Point Victory at Sea it tastes very close to that just not an imperial came in at 6.3%

like wonderbread said, those should be 21 not 23 if they're noticable

Back