Need some tips on yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this info is probably in various places. I have an insane day instead of me and hope I can get these questions answered in one place.
I have a 2L pyrex erlenmeyer and a stir plate.

I have heard make up a 1L or is it 1.5L starter - can I boil that Pyrex directly on an electric range or must I dig out the burner?

Estimate gravity of starter using light DME for around 1.030?

Pitch when below 80F

How long does it need to sit? Is 24 hours enough?

It's going to be a lager yeast - what temp is ideal for the starter to work at?

Sorry for the lazy post - hoping I can get answers quick so I can decide what order to run errands in today.

THANK YOU!!!

Well, what's your batch like? I ask because Mr Malty's pitching rate calculator says that, for a five-gal, modest gravity (1.050) lager, you'll need about a 3-liter starter.

Sorry, I know this info is probably in various places. I have an insane day instead of me and hope I can get these questions answered in one place.
I have a 2L pyrex erlenmeyer and a stir plate.
I have heard make up a 1L or is it 1.5L starter - can I boil that Pyrex directly on an electric range or must I dig out the burner?

The size of your starter depends on the gravity and volume of your beer.

Use the burner.

Estimate gravity of starter using light DME for around 1.030?

Shoot for between 1.030 and 1.040

Pitch when below 80F

pitch around 70

How long does it need to sit? Is 24 hours enough?

yes

It's going to be a lager yeast - what temp is ideal for the starter to work at?

you are trying to maximize cell growth, so 70 degrees is fine.

Sorry for the lazy post - hoping I can get answers quick so I can decide what order to run errands in today.

THANK YOU!!!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies! It will be 5 gallons and I don't have a recipe yet but was going to aim around 1.050 for a german pilsner.

Thanks for all the replies! It will be 5 gallons and I don't have a recipe yet but was going to aim around 1.050 for a german pilsner.

I forgot to mention the size of your starter also depends on the age of your yeast and the type of beer your brewing as well.

Your going to need a lot of yeast for 5 gallons of 1.050 lager, like around 350 billion cells.

If your smack pack is relatively fresh, and I were you, I would start with a 1 liter starter and then step it to 1.5 liters, this should give you around 400 billions cells to work with.

On second thought, you could probably get away with about 250 billion cells.
Which would only require a 1.5 liter starter, assuming a relatively fresh smack pack.
I'm basing this off of this formula; 1 million cells per ml of wort per degree Plato, which is commonly accepted in the homebrewing community.
Previously I was basing the required amount of cells off of the formula; 1.5 million cells/ml wort/degree Plato. which is also commonly accepted in the homebrewing community.
Pick whichever one sounds better to you and go with it.

Correction on my earlier post: if you're using a stir plate, you can use a much smaller starter - like just over a liter.

Based on all your great input I'm headed to the LHBS now to get yeast and then I'll post back. Any recommendations on X cups of DME in 1L gives the 1.040 I'm looking for?

Awesome. You guys rock. I am stoked to try out my new stainless false bottom in my 10 gallon rubbermaid. Also received my fittings from bargainfittings and fedex tracking says my hose and other items from rebelbrewer are on the truck for delivery!
This will be an all-pilsner malt, all-saaz pils.

Back