recipe for Amber Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was wondering if someone could lend me some help. I havent brewed in a couple years so i am a little bit rusty. can you tell me if a recipe like this will turn out all right? I wanted to follow my own recipe this tme since i have allways used a recipe from the brew shop.

1.25lb caramel 40L malt
9lbs of NW amber extract
1 oz of simcoe hops at 45 mins
.5 oz Simcoe 15 mins
.5 oz simcoe hops at 5 mins
dry yeast (i think the last time i was at the brew shop there were 2 types of wyeast)

I am looking for something that is mildly hoppy, has a medium sweetness like caramel, and has about 6-7% ABV. I have used 2 ounces of cascade hops in the past and it was about perfect for hops. Also, what dry yeast should i use? Am i forgeting anything?

Looks like a winner to me. I'm guessing with 9lbs of extract it could come out to a little more than 7% ABV if you're only making 5 gallons. Not a bad thing though. My favorite dry yeast is Windsor. My favorite dry yeast is danstar Windsor, but wyeast I'm sure will produce a good beer. Your recipe is very similar to a recipe that I make on a somewhat regular basis. It makes a great beer.

I was mistaken about the yeast, I think i used nottinghams in the past (cant really remember, i know it was dry though) I went with wyeast 1056 liquid yeast, hopefully it will be allright. thanks everyone for your help.

TheJadedDog said:
I've never used the wyeast dry yeast but i highly recommend the safale products. The simcoe hops should make for an interesting beer, let us know how it turns out.

I prefer Safale 56 and S-04 to all yeasts too !
dry or powdered.
Thats all I use.

and I use 3/4 oz of high alpha acid boiling hops,
and am thinking about reducing it to a bit less
in order to have a 'not so dry' ale.
{ 9Lbs of L.M.E. or D.M.E. ??? }
Sounds like the same thing I make.
'8 Lb Hammer.'
Mine Acht Pfund Hammerbier
{8Lbs D.M.E.}

Von Knife

Hmm, i dont know the difference between L.M.E. or D.M.E.. This is only my 7th batch of beer and i am still a begginer. I went to the brewshop and bought "9lb amber extract syrup". I cooked it up tonite and it tasted pretty good thus far. I know the flavor will change a lot but i think that this is what i was looking for. seemed to have a perfect balance of hops (although i started drinking some microbrews which seemed to give them a better flavor after i sampled to wort)

lovemyhomebrew said:
Hmm, i dont know the difference between L.M.E. or D.M.E..

LME is liquid malt extract
DME is dry malt extract

When using DME, you do not use as much as you would if using LME since it is completely dehydrated and therefore more concentrated.

TheJadedDog said:
LME is liquid malt extract
DME is dry malt extract

When using DME, you do not use as much as you would if using LME since it is completely dehydrated and therefore more concentrated.

{20% difference.}
9Lbs of L.M.E. would be:
7.2% of D.M.E.

J. Knife

First off i would have to say that this batch is going like crazy. I hit peak fermentation at 36 hours. 1 bubble every 1.5 seconds. This continued for 2 1/2 days at this rate. Then it dropped to 1 bubble every 7 seconds and stayed there for 3 days. Meanwhile almost 3" of krausen developed on the top. last night fermentation dropped to 1 bubble every 45 seconds in a matter of 12 hours and the krausen is subsiding. So i figured that i should be able to rack to my secondary in the next 3-4 days. Suprisingly, there is less than an inch of sediment on the bottom of my primary.
Secondly, can someone please help me find an estimated OG for this recipe? I figured about 1070, but that was based on a recipe with 8lbs of dark malt LME, so i dont know if dark vs amber malt is comparable.

My plan is 10 days in fermentor, 10-14 days in secondary, and 3 weeks in bottle. But i will let the hydrometer be the judge of that. ( with the exception of a "carbonation taste test" at about 1 week in bottle)

Back