Hop Leaf Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I planted my hops this past Friday and today multiple leaves have turned white and paperish. I have been water a good amount in the morning and nothing at night but the ground is dry on top and moist just below surface level. The hops were started indoors and were growing like crazy prior to me moving them outside.

The weather has been nice which is (mid 60's during the day and mid/high 40's at night. No frost and no signs of bugs or anything to draw concern there.

Here are a few pics that may help my honestly my concerns are growing daily.

125fb663.jpg

42f54080.jpg

a6dc4886.jpg

Anyone have any ideas :drunk:

You could have issues with overwatering, but most likely, they're lacking nutrients.

I sprinkle slow release fertilizer on the soil around my hops and as it rains, the fertilizer will be absorbed into the soil.

The irony of water is on one hand your hops want water, on the other to much water and you can wash your nutrients away. I have in the past, over watered my hops. I've never drowned them, but I have starved them.

In addition to standard nutrients like the above post suggests, I'm a fan of taking wood ash from a fire and adding it to either compost or directly above (lightly) my hops. Wood ash has a little bit of everything and is a great amendment to compost/soil. Last time my leaves looked like that I did wood ash and nutrients.

Recommendations on fertilizer or nutrients to add? I'm heading to Lowes this morning to pick up other thingsand will definitely add that to my list.

Thanks

The temperature change from inside the house to outside in the 40s at night could be the problem. Also true if they have gone from protected inside to direct sun outside. They sunburn just like you do. Most plants need time to acclimate. See how they look in another week.

The plant is probably getting rid of older, sunburned leaves, and will grow more sun resistant leaves to match the new sun level in their transplanted spot. Hard to believe you would have a nutrient problem after 3 days.

Cut The plant off where the good leaves start. There will be 2 side arms that will start to grow. Pinch off one of them and then train the other one up the string.

Back