Best value in Dial-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was asked to find the house a better deal for our Internet service. It will have to be dial up as we have DirecTV... Any suggestions? the move is being made to speed up our connections / uploads at 56k (actually I've never seen above 45.2k on the connection) are painfully slow. So, any suggestions?
I'll also take whatever advice I can about a DVR for satelite...

Thanks, Hippie

Hippie said:
Hey guys,
I was asked to find the house a better deal for our Internet service. It will have to be dial up as we have DirecTV... Any suggestions? the move is being made to speed up our connections / uploads at 56k (actually I've never seen above 45.2k on the connection) are painfully slow. So, any suggestions?

Thanks, Hippie

I haven't used dial-up since about 1998, but I'm pretty sure that the speeds you are getting are actually the limit on dial-up. I don't think you can get any faster than that.

Anyway, my main reason for responding was because I wanted to let you know that you can get high-speed internet through your DirecTV satellite. It's been around for a few years. I think it's from www.hughes.net. I've never looked at the pricing, so I don't know if it's comperable to DSL or cable or anything.

-walker

Hippie said:
Hey guys,

Thanks, Hippie
Why does it have to be dial-up because of DirecTV?

I'll call direct TV and see if they have any package deals. I know that around here, you can get internet, TV and phone all rolled into one.

Also, instead of ADDING service. Call and cancel. they'll try to talk you into staying and give you a better deal. You should, at a minimum, get the DVR for free.

the_bird said:
I would assume it's because there's no cable going to the house and DSL is unavailable.

I think trinitone is just hinting at the same thing I was talking about; high-speed internet via satellite.

yeah, I've seen their Ads and was going to look there...

and Bird was right, no cable to the house... I don't know about DSL availability (that is over phonelines, right?). We had something else when I first moved here, but it was changed because of a rate increase (end of promo), it was alot faster.

Thanks so far, I'll check out Hughes net...

Hippie said:
yeah, I've seen their Ads and was going to look there...

and Bird was right, no cable to the house... I don't know about DSL availability (that is over phonelines, right?). We had something else when I first moved here, but it was changed because of a rate increase (end of promo), it was alot faster.

Thanks so far, I'll check out Hughes net...
DSL is via the phone line. I would check and see if that is available to you if satellite isn't viable.

Hippie said:
I don't know about DSL availability (that is over phonelines, right?).

Correct. There are (or at least "used to be") restirctions on how far you lived from a central office of the phone company. If you were too far away from the C.O., DSL was not an option.

I have no idea how much these restrictions have changed in the last few years, if at all. You can probably find a place to enter your phone number on your phone company's website and it can quickly tell you if DSL is an option or not.

-walker

Thanks, I think Hughes.net is out... abit pricy, and you can tell when BAD weather is coming as the sat signal can go to hell

Thanks ollllllo

DSL has some insane coverage nowadays as well as some pretty impressive bandwidth to your door. I would suggest giving your local telephone company a call to see what they can offer you.

I would also tend to shy away from satellite services as well. Our company used to be installers/resellers for one of the two-day satellite providers and they were utter crap. If you must go with satellite, check out Wild Blue; they're probably one of the best services out there if you have no other options. Being on the same subject as a wireless medium, check out some wireless high-speed providers in your area and feel free to hit me up if you find one and I would be more than happy to take a look and see if they are worthwhile. (We do dial-up and wireless high-speed service)

Dial-up is limited to 50.2kbps but your connection varies constantly as you are online. Just because you connect at 33.6kbps for example, doesn't mean that you aren't getting speeds as high at 50.2 or as low as 9200 baud, heh.

That being said, if you need to go with dial-up, there are a plethora of low-cost providers out there right now, such as NetZero, AOL (in some cases), etc. To help ease your pain, see if your provider will offer you something such as a dial-up accelerator. Most carriers nowadays offer this as a free and included service. (We do.. and yes, I work for an ISP :D )

ollllo, I must not be focusing very well (busy multitasking), but those sites aren't making much sense to me...can you give me a short run down of how to use it.

thanks

Back