30 amp gfi wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pp270

Reaction score
I am running two 30 amp GFI circuits for to two seperate 5500 wat heating elements. My question is on the wiring of the 30 amp GFI breakers in the breaker box.

Do both the neutral pigtails on the GFI breakers and the neutrals on the incoming 10 gauge wires for the 30 amp circuits need to goto the neutal bar in the subpanel? Or do the neutrals on the incoming wires need to goto the neutral terminals on the respective GFI breakers and then run the neutral pigtails on the GFI breakers to the neutral bar in the sub panel?

I am only running two hots and the ground for the two GFI circuits so the neutral is unused.

Mine are wired.

(2) hots going from the panel to the brew rig are inserted into the terminals on the GFCI breaker,

The neutral and ground going from the panel to the rig EDIT: neutral is secured to the neutral terminal on the GFCI breaker

The neutral pigtail from the GFCI, goes to the common neutral/ground bar in the panel.

just to confirm both the neutal pigtails from the GFI and the neutrals from the incoming wires for the 30 amp circuits into your breaker box are both connected to the neutral bar in the breaker box?

ie there are no neutral wires connected to the terminals on your GFI breakers in the breaker box?

just to confirm both the neutal pigtails from the GFI and the neutrals from the incoming wires for the 30 amp circuits into your breaker box are both connected to the neutral bar in the breaker box?

ie there are no neutral wires connected to the terminals on your GFI breakers in the breaker box?

Actually, no that is incorrect. This is what I get for wiring it a year ago, and not looking today... the neutral coming from the circuit IS inserted into the GFCI breaker

I see and then the neutral pigtails on the GFIs are then connected to the neutal bar in the panel.

Are you running just the two hots and ground to your brew rig or all four two hots, ground, and neutral?

I see and then the neutral pigtails on the GFIs are then connected to the neutal bar in the panel.

Are you running just the two hots and ground to your brew rig or all four two hots, ground, and neutral?

2 hots, ground and neutral. Yes, the load hots go to the GFCI hots, the load neutral goes to the GFCI neutral terminal, the load ground goes to the common neutral/ground bar. The GFCI pigtail goes to the common ground/neutral bar

this is showing you how to wire up a 240V gfi running all four of the wires (2 hots, neutral, and ground). I am wondering if it needs to be hooked up differently if you just run the two hots and ground.

Anyone else have an opinion?

this is showing you how to wire up a 240V gfi running all four of the wires (2 hots, neutral, and ground). I am wondering if it needs to be hooked up differently if you just run the two hots and ground.

Anyone else have an opinion?

GFCI monitors current, the ground shouldn't matter, there is no current there. And the ground doesnt even go through the GFCI.

You need to land the wires from the breaker(pigtails) onto the neutral buss in the panel, and land the neutral wires from the machine/plug/receptacle/circuit into the GFI breaker designated for the "load neutrals".

Back