I think I actually ruined a batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
So back in August I brewed up a bunch of batches with the intent of leaving them for a while to clear up real nice.

Well all the batches have been bottled/kegged & consumed already except for one extract kit of a Nut Brown ale.

About a month or so ago, I checked the gravity and it was exactly where it's supposed to be. Somehow I forgot to re-attach the lid on the fermenter so it's been sitting for a month with an air lock of vodka but a non-sealed lid!

I lifted the lid and it looks fine but I'm doubtful.

Any words of wisdom from the the pros? I was getting ready to keg.

:confused:

How's it smell and taste? More than likely nothing happened. I mean, some folks intentionally leave the lid not tight, like if they have arthritis. Your beer is protected by co2.....

The first homebrew instructions I read said to leave a towel over the top of the bucket you use. Infection isn't a forgone conclusion unless you go out of your way to get one. Proper sanitation is a lot more of an odds game. Beer nasties aren't lying in wait ready to attack at the first sign of weakness. They have to happen your way at the same time you fall asleep at the wheel. The bad news is that once they find you, they'll stick around as long as possible. The good news is that depending on the type and severity of the infection, it may not even ruin your batch. It may just make the batch less than ideal. Or you may not even notice...

Give it a taste and then you will have a better idea if something bad happened.

It smells fine with a little hint of the nasty smell from the layer of co2. It tastes fine so I just kegged it & threw it on gas, we'll see what happens.

Lesson learned: Always double/triple check a lid after a gravity check.

Thanks for the help guys

Its fine. CO2 is heavier than air, so there still would have been a layer of it protecting the beer. If it looked fine with nothing growing on it...your golden!

I think that'll be the case.

I'll be pissed if this doesn't taste all that great. This is a repeat of the same thing I made a year or so ago. It is one of my all time favorite homebrews yet.

It's on gas at the moment so hopefully in a few weeks it'll be good to go.

This kit is a True Brew kit, Nut Brown Ale. It's an all extract kit which I'm hoping to find @ AHS in a mini mash.

baby steps to all-grain.

Mike,
I know what you mean about baby steps. All I've done is two True Brew Kits and batch of Apfelwein so far. Best of luck on your batch, sure it will be fine.
Cheers

where i live no one even sells primary buckets with airlocks and airtight lids, i do 3+ week primarys with a snap on (but not even close to airtight) lid without ever any problem at all

Back