Repurposing a Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that SWMBO has deemed unfit to be part of the household. It is functional and being used as a fermenter (with temp control), but survived a fire, so it ain't purty :)

It has been granted a 4 week reprieve while I finish the work in the garage/workshop, but has to move.

I have a dry crawl space with plastic, that will fit the height of the freezer, but couldn't open the top to get things in and out.

I was thinking a couple of things:
1. Dismantle, using care, and make a Son of Fermentation chamber.
2. Create a drop down door on the front of it.
3. Camouflage it as a table saw :)

Anyone ever ripped one of these apart?

Did it melt? Or, is it just simply smoke charred and a bit flame broiled?

If the latter PAINT IT! Heavy on the killz (I am thinking Oil based) and give it a Full Monty Chalkboard treatment.

Yikes!

I used the excuse of "But it makes such a great work table..." for a little bit. SWMBO was not amused.

I'd modify the top of the keezer, since there is nothing that can be hurt by your cutting. Perhaps modify the door in some fashion.

Pictures?

Did it melt? Or, is it just simply smoke charred and a bit flame broiled?

If the latter PAINT IT! Heavy on the killz (I am thinking Oil based) and give it a Full Monty Chalkboard treatment.

Just charred and ugly. The real problem is SPACE. I use my 2/3 of a 1 car for my Woodshop/Brewcenter/Storage of my crap. SWMBO was kind enough to store the new frigde/freezer (I got the fridge for kegs, she got the freezer :) ) on here 1/3.

Just charred and ugly. The real problem is SPACE. I use my 2/3 of a 1 car for my Woodshop/Brewcenter/Storage of my crap. SWMBO was kind enough to store the new frigde/freezer (I got the fridge for kegs, she got the freezer :) ) on here 1/3.

I am not saying this is the best solution but, I know lots of fellers who keep their freezers outside set atop blocks to keep the bottom from rusting out.

It will be hard to modify since the heating and cooling lines run through all the walls of the freezer. Your best bet may be to take out the compressor carefully and turn the rest of the unit on it's side. Keep the compressor upright though and make sure that it is below the rest of the unit. I'm not positive this will work.

Yeah Gila, I tried that one - see below. Hell, I even thought about using some brick laminate to make it blend into the house :)

Okay. So she called checkmate and holds the keys to the chastidy belt. I get that.

Wife tells me all the time that I am unfit to be part of the household too, til' something breaks, squeaks, or squirts and then, suddenly, I am a GOD again.

Mine says she sick of all my **** in the garage too and I reply, "so when should I have the shed delivered". Miraculously, the garage isn't as much of a problem to her.

I'd put some wheels on it and turn it into a street derby car. Should be fun for at least the first run down the street (before you end up in the emergency room).

Okay. So she called checkmate and holds the keys to the chastidy belt. I get that.

Wife tells me all the time that I am unfit to be part of the household too, til' something breaks, squeaks, or squirts and then, suddenly, I am a GOD again.

Mine says she sick of all my **** in the garage too and I reply, "so when should I have the shed delivered". Miraculously, the garage isn't as much of a problem to her.
Yep. That would be a really good plan. Did I mention it is her house? She is a saint though! I completely remodeled the kitchen, building cabs from scratch. Got about 90% done, then the garage (workshop) caught on fire. So I have to get that done before the first day of summer.

I ended up ahead of the game- I got a kegerator out of the deal, and swipe enough space for about 4lbs of hops and some frozen yeast in "her freezer".

Post a photo of the freezer and we can get a better idea of how to repurpose it properly.

Out of pure curiosity, how did the fire start? Also, do you have a picture of the freezer?

The fire appeared to be electrical in nature. There was a very old panel that had some issues - like this model of panel is outlawed in NY (Federal Pacific).

Honestly, I cleaned up the freezer with some oxiclean + simple green and it doesn't look that bad. It is 20+ years old though. Camera is dead right now.

Sell some of your other crap and make room for more beer stuff. Then hide the ugly freezer behind it.

Back