Keggle False Bottom Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultan

Reaction score
I am putting the finishing touches on my brew structure and getting my three keggles prepped for brewing and I was wondering if a 15" false botom is necessary for the false bottom or if a 12" will suffice? Any input is welcome.

Thanks

The 12" will be fine, that is what I use and it works great for me. The 15" might be a little difficult to get in through the top, depending on how big you cut the whole.

I've used both, actually a 15" and 10". The 15" is best, for sure. A 12" will probably work fine, but you'll need to hold it down tight against the bottom so it doesn't let grain around the sides (stuck sparge). I used a SS hose clamp on the pickup tube. My 15" doesn't require that. FYI - I went to the larger one because I needed the extra flow capacity to recirculate the wort.

Here are some pics for comparison.

Lil Sparky,
Where did you pick up your 15" false bottom or is it something you made from sheet material and then bolted together? After looking at your pictures it looks like the way to go. My keggle is setup very similar

what type of screen material did u use to make that. I have the same set up as u but have been trying to come up with a way of screening my pickup tube. i am also recirculating my wort with a march pump and shirron chiller. if you have any details i would appreciate it thanks.

Sabco false bottom is what i use. It is VERY stout and has adjustable legs, so there's no way in hell it will collapse.
I paid 89.99 for mine, and it was worth it. Before I ordered I explored other options (jaybird). Sabco's is NOT more expensive.

Maybe Jaybird's raised his price... When I bought mine from him, I saved quite a bit - maybe from getting in on the deal early. :D

Back