Entry Level Slicer Reccomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am reasonably new to smoking meats and am seriously considering buying a slicer. I do not want to break the bank, but would like something that will hold up to a brisket/pastrami, bacon. or other meats/cheeses for home use. I can probably get my uncle to use his ancient yellowed plastic slicer a time or two, but am just as hooked on smoking as I am on brewing so want one for myself. What would you all suggest for an entry level slicer? Any brands I should avoid like the plague? Any that will last me a couple (3-5) years before I truly decide if I want to buy something that is bulletproof? Is there any maintenance (blade care, oiling, etc) or other advice you can provide that I should consider or know before investing in one?

If it helps I like my bacon thicker cut, but for pastrami and other lunch meats thin is the way to go. Let me know what you all think. I know I get good advice all around from this site so know you will not steer me wrong.

Have you considered a used commercial slicer? I bought one from a restaurant supply store that was probably 15 years old. They had serviced it and it was in great working condition - a little beat up looking, but that's not important to me. It's a Hobart and it's rock solid and overkill for home use - but it works on ANYTHING. It does take up more space than a home sized slicer, but it you have the room and can find the right deal - it's a terrific option, IMO.

+1 used commercial

Start perusing the classified ads for equipment and restaurant auctions and business closings.

Don't forget institutional equipment auctions like schools, hospitals, prisons, etc.
I found a great Hobart slicer this way for $35!

It takes time and effort on your part, but half the fun is the thrill of the chase.

Both replies above are right on. I process meat professionally and Hobart is the best. I find screaming deals on ebay and craigslist. You will always be able to buy parts for a Hobart. You'll be surprised how cheap you can pick up a good slicer on ebay for the price of a chinese one at the store. I own several slicers, both manual and automatic, and my favorite manual slicer is a 65-70 year old Hobart. Still works awesome

Back