Any problem lighting boil kettle before its full?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
Recently I've started doing large batches (32 gallons). I've developed a habit of lighting the boil kettle after it gets about 10 gallons, and by the time that is done its a short wait to full boil. Is this okay? The beer seems fine, but I wanted to check.

If you aren't boiling until after the pot is full I don't see why this would be a problem. Especially if the beer still tastes the same. Curious what the more knowledgeable have to say about this though.

Yeah, that's not a problem at all. In fact it can be a good thing as it can halt further enzymatic activity and lock in your wort profile, depending on your sparge method. And if you enjoy the beer, then all the better. Cheers.

I fire mine as soon as wort is going in.

The brewery that I work at turns on the steam jackets as soon as they are completely covered. There is a bottom steam jacket covering the entire bottom surface of the bk and a side jacket about half way up. They're fired up individually as soon as the surface of each of them is completely covered.

It is a very good way to save time. Just keep the flame heating the wort up, not trying to boil it. By the time I'm done sparging, I'm usually already at 190 F or so and minutes away from a boil.

Nope you are fine. I light my burner up once I have wort hitting the bottom. First runnings drain quick enough that i do not worry about it. Never had any problem with it and it really speeds up the boil.

Back