Adding orange zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
I am brewing an American wheat tomorrow and want to add orange zest. It will only be a 3 gallon batch and was wondering how much and what type of orange I should use. Thanks!!

Are u wanting sweet orange peel or bitter orange peel. That's the first question. Then u need to ask yourself how much flavor you want from it

I added zest from 3 oranges to a five gallon batch of wheat. It could have taken one more, but the brew turned out nice.

derbycitybrewer said:
Are u wanting sweet orange peel or bitter orange peel. That's the first question. Then u need to ask yourself how much flavor you want from it

I honestly don't know. I just want to be able to taste the orange but not have it overpowering

Does anyone else have any advice on this. I'm starting this brew in the next hour or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I've read on these forums people using a guideline of 1-2oz for 5 gal. You'd therefore use ~1oz. Just make sure you avoid the bitter white pith.

I'm currently experimenting with that guideline amount of orange zest (grated) but i won't be tasting it until this weekend - sorry!

Tippsy-Turvy said:
I've read on these forums people using a guideline of 1-2oz for 5 gal. You'd therefore use ~1oz. Just make sure you avoid the bitter white pith.

I'm currently experimenting with that guideline amount of orange zest (grated) but i won't be tasting it until this weekend - sorry!

Ok yea I saw that in a few posts. Did you use bitter oranges or sweet?

Tippsy-Turvy said:
I used sweet oranges but I didn't know their peel would taste differently from those of bitter oranges!?!?

Yea I'm still unsure which type to use. Thanks for the input

I just used navel oranges. I followed the advice of others here and only zested the orange stuff. As soon as the white showed, I stopped.

skipfab74 said:
I just used navel oranges. I followed the advice of others here and only zested the orange stuff. As soon as the white showed, I stopped.

I used navel too. Thanks

I tossed the peel (whole with PIth) from 4 naval oranges into a Saison I made. It was fantastic. Nothing off or overly bitter about it. In fact the keg went fast and grabbed me lots of requests for the recipe. We use hops to bitter our brews... how is this any different???

Don't fear the peel... embrace it! ;P

Vman said:
I tossed the peel (whole with PIth) from 4 naval oranges into a Saison I made. It was fantastic. Nothing off or overly bitter about it. In fact the keg went fast and grabbed me lots of requests for the recipe. We use hops to bitter our brews... how is this any different???

That's a good point. This one has already been done with just the zest. Maybe next time I can try the whole peel.

Vman said:

Do you add them in the boil? At the end or in fermenter

How about adding zest into secondary? I was considering doing 1-2 ounces during boil and then an ounce plus 0.5 oz of citra hops as a dry hop during secondary. Any thougts on how the flavor would differ by adding it into the boil versus secondary versus both? I want a noticable citrus taste but not overwhelming or overpowering.

PrivetDriveBrewery said:
How about adding zest into secondary? I was considering doing 1-2 ounces during boil and then an ounce plus 0.5 oz of citra hops as a dry hop during secondary. Any thougts on how the flavor would differ by adding it into the boil versus secondary versus both? I want a noticable citrus taste but not overwhelming or overpowering.

That's a good question...ill be waiting for an answer from someone....

PrivetDriveBrewery said:

Packaged bitter/sweet orange peel for brewing might be safe, but I'd be leery of throwing orange zest right off a fresh orange straight into the fermenter without cleaning it. I usually add mine in the last 15 minutes or less of the boil. I'm not sure of the differences of flavor/aroma contributions by doing it that way.

That's a good question...ill be waiting for an answer from someone....

You'd be better off making an extract to add to seconday. Put the zest into a jar, cover it with vodka and let it sit for a week or so. Shake it every once in a while. Strain it with a coffee filter into secondary. You'll get all the taste and none of the infection potential...

As for the earlier comment "wash them well", if you're pitching into the boil for 10 mins, you don't need to worry about contamination. The boil will kill anything that may be on the peel. I would rinse them, you don't want wax or pesticides in your beer.

PrivetDriveBrewery said:
So, it seems like the thought is to do either one or the other. Not put the zest into the boil AND into secondary.

I think both would be fine. Just experiment.

As for adding to secondary, if you are using fresh zest make sure to do a vodka infusion. The zest will contain citrus oil. Oil has the potential to reduce head retention. (Think frat boys rubbing their nose with their finger and swirling it in the head of some BMC for beerpong)

Latest posts

Back