Mobile kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedirishman

Reaction score
Thought I would share my version of a mobile kegerator. It comes in handy for those fancy gatherings.

image-509304536.jpg

Is the basin really big enough for 3 kegs and ice? I guess if the kegs are already cold before the party, they might stay cold with minimal ice in an uninsulated metal tub.

Either way, it is a work of art. What kind of hardware did you use to attach your faucet mounting board to the frame? Is the frame just black PVC or something a bit more hefty? I love the decorative piece at the top as well.

Why did you choose to mount the co2 bottle on the side instead of the back? On the side, it can sit closer to the back wall but if it was on the back, it could fit really well into a corner.

Great project. When is the party?

Is the basin really big enough for 3 kegs and ice? I guess if the kegs are already cold before the party, they might stay cold with minimal ice in an uninsulated metal tub.

Either way, it is a work of art. What kind of hardware did you use to attach your faucet mounting board to the frame? Is the frame just black PVC or something a bit more hefty? I love the decorative piece at the top as well.

Why did you choose to mount the co2 bottle on the side instead of the back? On the side, it can sit closer to the back wall but if it was on the back, it could fit really well into a corner.

Great project. When is the party?

Yes, three kegs just barely fit, and once the kegs are in, you get about 30lbs of ice in it. With kegs that are already cold (what kegs do you have that aren't already cold?) it remains cold for at least 6 hours. I haven't had an opportunity to test it beyond that. Usually when we break it out, it's for something like a wedding reception and it doesn't need to stay cold much longer than that anyway. There's a lot of thermal mass there to dissipate before it would warm up.

To mount the faucet board I used fixtures that the big box stores sell for hanging pipe from a ceiling. They clamp on the pipe and have a threaded stud that comes out one side. I replaced the stud with a screw that has 1/4-20 machine threads on one side, and 1/4" lags on the other to go into the wood. Just had to pay careful attention to make sure it was lined up right, but it holds really solid.

The pipe is 1.5" metal pipe. The piece at the top has a clear lexan piece to write the names of the beer with dry-erase markers. I should have gotten a pic with the names on it.

I chose to mount the CO2 on the side for a couple reasons. First, it's easy to access from both the front and the back, and second, it sits over my drain valve to keep people from tripping on it.

I made this one from a liqueur store drink merchandiser. I just had to cut out the bottom, sink in a 5 gallon bucket,build a drain and insulated with a sh*t-ton of spray foam. I build a reg that runs off slim paintball tanks that fits inside with the keg. Will hold 20 pounds of ice for at least 8 hours in 95 degree temps. Sorry for crap cell phone pic.

ForumRunner_20120905_223451.jpg

It's electric. I use my buddies little Honda generator when it's mobile. I'm sure a couple 30lb bags of ice would do the trick also

Latest posts

Back