Fermented tea ,cider/wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkwright

Reaction score
I do not have a scoby but iv been curious.as to what fermented tea would taste like so I made some similar to the way I make wine.

2cups suger
1gal strong black tea
1/2 pound raisons

I mixed them together in my carboy
Fermentation peaked at 72 hours ended after 9 days at 1 bubble every 2 min.
I placed the brew in my fridge to speed clearing, it was clear after 5 days went from black to a light tan color.
I decided against aging since Iv no clue how well it will age nor did want to wait .
roughly 11% abv
The flavor is nothing like tea however very pleasant and hard to discribe.
It has a faint tea/nutty aftertaste
All in all I'd call this experiment successful and will be making more.
If I can find a scoby I'll try making it correctly :p

I haven't had fermented tea made like you did, but I would guess that it is completely different than the kt that a scoby produces.

What kind of yeast did you use? Also, 11 abv and no aging? Man, I don't think I could stomach that.

Used regular bakers yeast ,Alabama still has prohibition era laws active so legally Im not supposed to brew and no brew shops. As for taste as long as I sweeten it theres no prob but that's just me tho

Dumb. I'd be ordering my stuff online and making beer regardless of alabama's backwards laws. Theoretically of course. ;)

Its largely unenforced. theres a bill going to the house to make it legal up to 100 gal a year per person. And legal to transport up to 20 gal at a time. Hope it makes it, took 3 trys to get passed the senate. Only Alabama and Mississippi still have those laws in affect.

Bump..

Decided to bottle half of it The flavor of the rasions is much stronger however the flavor of the tea is now non existent . Overall the wine is much smoother and better tasting.
If anyone knows how to preserve the teas flavor id appriciate it.

Arkwright said:
Bump..

Decided to bottle half of it The flavor of the rasions is much stronger however the flavor of the tea is now non existent . Overall the wine is much smoother and better tasting.
If anyone knows how to preserve the teas flavor id appriciate it.

I think this is what's happining to my hard tea... I think fermentation took most the flavor with it..
I did
50 green tea
10 chi
20 misc. (left over verity packs)
5lbs sugar
nutrient/energizer
EC-1118
OG 1.060
FG .998
kind of yeastie transferring to secondary but could definitely taste tea but not as pronounced as I wanted.
I'm thinking of throwing sum more tea in the keg while I force carb a week, then bottle.. :mug:

There's a LHBS south of B'ham called ALABREW. Not sure where in AL you are, but I'm in H'ville and just use Midwest online and haven't had any issues. Most cops I know are more interested in trying the beer instead of busting you for making it.

I made another batch used 2x the tea bags as the first batch with nothing else for flavor. The tea fermented dry. Slightly bitter strong tea flavor. Used lavin-1118 champage yeast fermented to 20% abv. Bottled yesterday.

tried something similar, also with bread yeast but got a fairly weak, though delicious, result. how much yeast did you pitch? i used about 7g for a gallon batch.

I just brewed my first batch of hard tea and it tastes good. I used 15 Lipton tea bags 8oz honey and 15 oz lemon juice. Also added 1.7 lbs of cane sugar. Ended up fermenting out to 13%. Used ec1118 yeast an after fermentation slowed racked it a few times over several weeks(about 4 weeks) and it turned out pretty good.

Update: going to attempt to brew a hard tea with honey and simco hops

The tea is slowly fermenting and it is at 1.04 at this time. When I smell it has a very unique aroma. The simcoe hops are very pronounced but it seems to be having a milder taste as it ferments. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Back