Iphone BeerSmith app?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bachhus

Reaction score
I just got a new Iphone, my first, and have been researching beer brewing apps. Any rummors about a BeerSmith app? Something that is compatible with the actual BeerSmith program?

If not lets get them to work on one!

mark

I've heard Northern Brewer has an app for the iPhone... but I don't have an iPhone so I haven't tried it.

Here's the link if you're interested: iBrewmaster

I have been harassing them since September of 08 to make the ibrewmaster app for android, in May of this year...they finally announced that they are working on it :)

Great to hear, maybe by the time I'm set up it will be out. Sending this on my iPhone, I love this dam thing!

I have all the apps for iPhone I think. Brewpal I really like but it seems the project has been abandoned. It's a shame. It gives all types of memory errors but if you can deal with that it's a steal at 99 cents. iBrewmaster tbh I haven't dug into but it comes with a crapload of recipes built in. Beer Alchemy is not good unless you use Beer Alchemy on a Mac. Spargepal is free. Simple prog for calculating strike temp. I use my phone a lot for brewing. Thank god I don't have to mess around with a laptop out on the porch.

If either BTP or Beersmith could develop an app that worked across both platforms (PC and iPad/Android) and utilized something like dropbox for file synchronization they'd blow the other one away. As it is now, most of the full mobile apps like iBrewmaster aren't very enticing because there's no integration with the desktop, which is where I prefer to develop and maintain my recipes.

You can import all your beer xmls across the different progs tho and I dont see why you cant simply save to a dropbox folder

with beersmith you can sync desktop apps using dropbox but when it comes to mobile apps, all dropbox does is give a listing of the files available in your dropbox. you have to choose a file to download to your phone, it's not automatic. for me I use Brewzor Pro on android and import my recipes via BeerXML files from beersmith.

While it seems like a good idea to have the mobile app and desktop app auto sync the programming of it would be a nightmare. Then add in which mobile platform? IOS handles everything different from Android. Then you have to decide which to do first. Right now, Android is the most popular mobile OS out there, a year ago that wasn't the case. If they were to pick Android first, the iPhone crowd would get pissed. If the did iPhone first, Android crowd gets pissed. If anything they'd write a version for Win7 phone since it would be easier to port it over, but that pisses off both iPhone and Android users.

For now, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a mobile beersmith app and just be happy with the apps we have available right now.

Yeah you waited how many years for them to give us version 2. At this point there just isn't enough money in it. Not enough brewers. I don't mind what is available.

Back