regulate both hi and low temps during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcslain

Reaction score
I have read through a lot of threads here on temperature control, but I'm not sure any have completely addressed my concern. I'm all ready to brew a batch after having done a couple in the fall and winter. With my first brews I just used a heat wrap and a Johnson Controller. I kept the carboys in a room that never got too hot, so keeping the fermenting beer at around 64 was very easy. I never had to worry about it getting too hot cause the room went to 65 tops, and the heat wrap kept is warm enough at night and on cooler days.

Now though the temp in my 'brew room' will be fluctuating from maybe the 50s at night and cooler days to the mid 70s or higher on hot days. So since the Johnson Controller only works one way, heating or cooling, what is the best way to regulate on each end? I was thinking about sticking the fermenter in a tub, using the heat wrap w the controller to kick on when it is too cold, and then just adding iced bottles to the tub when it gets too hot. Will the bottles really work though if we get a terrible hot and humid NE stretch of weather? And it really sounds like a PITA... is there a better way?

Thanks
Mark

The swamp coolers work well. The larger the tub, the better the temp stability. Ice jugs or warm water does a pretty good job stabilizing the temps. If you're looking for a good, cheap solution, the swamp coolers are that.

If you have the budget and want something more robust, consider a dual controller and a freezer. I know you already have the Johnson, but that'd be good for a Keezer build since you just want to keep the beer cold w/ a lot of space.

Latest posts

Back