Video Brewday on my electric system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Hey all. I did 10 gallons of a best bitter on my system this weekend. I edited 6 hours of brewing down to less than 20 minutes :) Thought you guys might like to see the system tour.

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video Joe. I certainly appreciate anytime a experienced brewer takes the time to document and share their brew day with the forum. I have only been brewing for a couple of years and still have a lot to learn. I always pick up valuable tips/technique from this type of well produced video.

Oh yea I almost forgot "Nice F"in Rig"!! Keep us posted on your progress as you continue to upgrade your brew stand.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback.

The kettles were sourced from another homebrewer. I think he got them from a closed pharmaceutical company. They're 25 gallons.

There's some info on the heatstick in this thread, and a bit more in my electric build thread. I can made a video on the heatstick too, if you'd like.

-Joe

The rig looks good Man, thanks for taking the time to make a video! And I'd love to see one on the heatstick!

Well done, Joe. Great video of your process. Your podcasts have always been fun and informative as well.

Quick question: No wort aeration before pitching?

Thanks! No aeration this time, no. I figured that being pumped in at high velocity would be enough, especially with a good healthy starter. When I checked on it 12 hours later, both carboys already had a good krausen on them and were bubbling away cheerily.

I am planning to try an aerator tip like this one, especially if I can find one for 1/2" hose. Either that or inline oxygen, but that's a little more expensive than I'm ready to go at the moment.

-Joe

Looking good! I really need to get a pump! Have you always had 2, or did you get a second one for the electric setup?

Not gonna lie... I would expect your mash paddle to be a little more intricate given your other hobbies :mug:

Cool. I was wondering if you thought the pumping might be sufficient for aeration. I have yet to use a pump and am unfamiliar with how that effects the wort in terms of oxygenation.

The removable heat stick looks like it makes clean-up a breeze. I look forward to seeing how your MLT comes together in time.

Cheers!

Looking good! I really need to get a pump! Have you always had 2, or did you get a second one for the electric setup?

Not gonna lie... I would expect your mash paddle to be a little more intricate given your other hobbies :mug:
This is my first brew with the second pump, and I cannot tell you how much better it is than having just one. Especially when doing 2 sparges, it saves me a TON of switching hoses. With one pump I had to connect:

HLT -> MLT : pump hot water onto grain for strike
MLT -> BK : pump first runnings to boil kettle
HLT -> MLT : pump in first sparge water
MLT -> BK : pump first sparge to boil kettle
HLT -> MLT : pump in second sparge water
MLT -> BK : pump second sparge to boil kettle

Whew! Now it's as easy as flipping a switch and a couple of ball valves. A real time-saver.

And yes, a proper mash paddle is on my to-do list :)

The removable heat stick looks like it makes clean-up a breeze. I look forward to seeing how your MLT comes together in time.
Yes, that's one of the big reasons I went with a removable heat stick. Other reasons: it doesn't get in the way of my immersion chiller, doesn't slow down my whirlpool.

-Joe

+1 on the kilt!!

A couple things I would suggest would be to build in your chiller to your BK and to get a hold of a sparge arm. Sparging looked like you may be in for some channeling given the velocity of your return hose. Who knows, maybe with a 25 gallon kettle it may be sufficient.

Thanks for the video. That rig is shweet.

Can't wait to watch the vid on my dinner break.

If you're looking for a bigger aeration thingamado, search "eductor" they're used in fish tanks to move a lot more water than the actual pump is pumping. You might find one you like. There's even a couple of DIY threads on aquarium boards.

B

Those are pretty cool. I've seen a similar venturi system used to create vacuum using compressed air.

I'm not sure how I'd use it to aerate wort, though. Did you have an idea on that?

-Joe

I was thinking end of the hose, directly into the fermentor.

If you're thinking further back in the system, you could just put a T on the output of the pump and add a piece of 1/4" silicone airline and a valve. Open the valve until you get the air flow you want.

B

i like the idea of using a grant prior to the pump, i think i might copy it ;)

Nice video Joe, very nice system. That 5500 watt heatstick is the balls! That's a Boston expression btw...no intended pun on the manskirt.:mug:

Hah, for someone with you woodworking skills, that mash paddle is the cobbler's kids shoes. Can't wait to see the replacement.

Hah, for someone with you woodworking skills, that mash paddle is the cobbler's kids shoes. Can't wait to see the replacement.
haha that's one of my favorite expressions ;) But yeah, I finally ran the 240V lines out to the workshop that I need for my bandsaw and big lathe (after a year and a half in the new house) so I can make my paddle.

-Joe

Nice Vid! I finally get the man skirt lol. You look more italian than irish though!

Back