Brewhemoth conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case any of you are wondering...these are passivated before they leave our shop!!! We do each one, by hand...

:tank:
Josh

Oh, cool. He's got a new website.

Yes this is what I have. I absolutely love it. Having the cap like this with ALL the ports on it means that every port (besides the bottom dump) is easily removable and hence easily boil-able in the HLT to sanitize.

I should have gotten a PRV port added on the cap, but to jerry rig I put one on the gas in line instead. You can get the following (also pictured below) PRV's at several different pressure ratings from major suppliers- 40, 60, etc.. As you can see on my cap, there is plenty of room to weld a 1/4" female NPT port on the cap to screw one of these into.

I use the gas out as a blow-off, but not exactly as he has pictured. I have a couple custom welded fittings (corny posts welded to tri-clamp caps...what I'm holding) for that purpose. Also, this way I can do pressure ferments with a blow-off vessel attached. And, I basically have threadless in and out of my primary, since every thread is past an o-ring, on the outside. Savvy?:cross: My method is to use the 3 gal corny for a blow-off vessel/top cropper with the following fitting I'm holding - plus another on the corny as pictured. Then I detach from the primary and put the blow-off tube on the bottom dump tri-clamp and collect bottom yeast in the same vessel - hopefully thereby getting a full spectrum of yeast. I then put the post back on and attach my adjustable pressure relief valve (already on in the picture) to the gas out and ramp up internal pressure after high krausen to capture as much natural carb as I can.

IMO, the brewhemoth's need to be at least 35 PSI pressurizable to compete with what I can do with this. As I mentioned, the cone is so over-rated... not that it wouldn't be great to have, but..... not worth Morebeer prices. NEEDing a 60* cone (on the probrew scale) is all about the hydrostatic pressure (meaning the sheer weight of the volume) in a 15 bbl+ ferm vessel 'cooking' the yeast cake and making it un-viable and has nothing to do with anything on a homebrew scale (provided you can get enough yeast out the primary conveniently and sanitarily...the only other purpose). I do also have something similar to Kally's method of bottom dumping on mine. I have a tri-clamp elbow and a butterfly valve. The tri-clamp elbow is a nice reservoir for yeast to settle into.... ensuring a nice dump should you do one every other day or such.... like in a brewery.;)

I must say that I'm happy to check out Brewhemoth. Hadn't seen it till now. Good on ya fellas. I can't wait to see what you do for cooling. BUTTT..... please understand that the pressure thing is where you could score against all the other conical manufacturers. There is simply nothing on the homebrew market that is a truly a uni-tank (which mine is)... and also conical. I'm sure those vessels will rate well- they certainly look like it. Test em, rate em.... git-r-done. Being pressurizable is the difference between a 'fermentation vessel' and a 'uni-tank'.

Where did you get that SS pressure relief valve plus what is the set pressure?

Hey Josh...take a look at the results of the Drunk Monk Challenge...The Vienna Lager AND the Oktoberfest were made in the Brewhemoth. In fact they were the first two! Thanks again!
Steve

Josh, I noticed on Facebook you guys are testing a fermenter with coils on the outside of the Brewhemoth? Any chance you guys have been able to test it yet? The design follows the same design idea of the commercial jacketed units. I'm debating about building a ferm box but at the moment I have doubts about the idea because ultimately I want a conical or two. The jacketed idea is by far my favorite.

It is sitting in my fermentation area now. After 12 1/2 hour day yesterday, what might be a ten hour day today, it might be Saturday before any fermentation occurs. But it will be tested soon.

Just purchased one yesterday!

TC version with a 1.5" TC on the side, just above the cone (for therm). Can't wait to get it!

Designed a CIP system, just need to find a pump strong enough to power it.

Steve

Just purchased one yesterday!

TC version with a 1.5" TC on the side, just above the cone (for therm). Can't wait to get it!

Designed a CIP system, just need to find a pump strong enough to power it.

Steve

I'm trying to do the same thing. A 5G bucket fits under the bottom TC perfectly... 1/4hp sump pump isn't spinning my spinner....

All of the positive feedback makes me very interested in ordering one of these, but I have a couple of questions first, and I didn't see an answer while skimming through a couple of these threads. First, what does the interior of this fermenter look like? any issues? What kind of stainless steel is it? Right now I'm trapped in an apartment (for probably about another year) and can only do 5 gallon batches, and even after an upgrade when I get a house would really only be interested in doing 10 gallon batches. What issues would I need to look out for? Would this really be the right frementer for me, or should I look for a 15 gallon one?

Ok,ok, I suck. I'm just as bad as everyone else who just skips to the end of a post and asks questions. I just scrolled back a couple of pages and found most of the answers to the questions I asked. I think I'll send them an email to ask a few more technical specs. When you guys had them customize and add things did they have the parts, or did you need to send them to the manufacturer? I'd love to have one with a thermowell that o can put a thermometer in.

Just wanted let folks now that Moorebeers Racking Arm fits well in the Brewhemoth.

For some reason you can't find it on their website. But google finds it...and you can order it.

https://morebeer.com/view_product/10826

BTW Just received my brewhemoth and I think I am going to love it.

Fits great in my freezer.

brewhemoth1.jpg

brewhemoth2.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the info... I looked for one of those racking arms with the valve but I didn't google it so I ended up with a butterfly valve which flows a little too fast when opened. I'm going to do a few more brews with it that way and see if I end up liking it, but its good to know this option is out there as well.

FYI the B3 yeast harvester obviously fits since you have the TC bottom valve if you were interested in it.

A CIP design as was posted by another HBT member, can't think of his name at the moment. It's posted on the Brewhemoth forum one super clean system with a spray ball and large pump that kicks butt.

I think its on page 2 of this thread... member's name is Kally.

Did Kally ever do a write up of his CIP build, or is there another one that he inspired him?

Just thinking about putting something together, so if anyone knows a link to a good abuild, please share. Looks like I'll be well off with a 1/2 hp pump. I would like the ability to clean kegs and carboys as well.

Thanks!

I just emailed to get some quotes on one I want to order (thermowell, ball lock post, and pressure relief post) last night and Dale has already emailed me back! I figured they were so busy I'd have to wait a couple days, but I'm happy they were so prompt.

I just ordered mine with a thermowell, They were very paitent and willing to make it work for me. I'm pretty excited, now I have to wait for the lead time (currently 20 business days) but that will give me time to assemble the rest of the parts I need to make it work.

fyi, here is the pump I used for my CIP setup. Lowe's doesn't carry it anymore. I think pretty much anything of 1/3hp to 1/2 hp would work well. I don't know much about corrosion or oil intrusion into the fermentor, so be careful there. I went with this oil free stainless steel version for the highest chemical compatibility with PBW and starsan.

Utilitech 1/2 HP Waterfall Pump

Item #: 41844 | Model #: PPWF33

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41844-15649-PPWF33_4294935907+5003719+5003701_40_?productId=3089879&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_200%2B400_4294935907%2B5003719%2B5003701_40_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D4

fyi, here is the pump I used for my CIP setup. Lowe's doesn't carry it anymore. I think pretty much anything of 1/3hp to 1/2 hp would work well. I don't know much about corrosion or oil intrusion into the fermentor, so be careful there. I went with this oil free stainless steel version for the highest chemical compatibility with PBW and starsan.

Utilitech 1/2 HP Waterfall Pump

Item #: 41844 | Model #: PPWF33

http://www.lowes.com/pd_41844-15649-PPWF33_4294935907+5003719+5003701_40_?productId=3089879&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_200%2B400_4294935907%2B5003719%2B5003701_40_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1%26page%3D4

I repaired a 1/3 HP Grundfos SS pump, $26 field replacement cord cost a freebie pump, 31' max head 62 GPM (3,720 GPH LOL under perfect conditions no restrictions);
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Grundfos-KP250-1M10-1-3-HP-Sump-Pump-(012DC001)/11097/Cat/689
Presently the Koi pond drain at 10 trouble free years time to switch its duty to the CIP Brewhemoth.
Kally, I must copy your great CIP design the results sure look great thanks for posting.
Do you know the operating range of your spray ball in GPM or operating pressure range?

I saw the link for the more beer racking valve, but where have you guys been finding the triclamp valves for the brewhemoth? I'd like to order and get all of the parts I need before it arrives so I can use it as soon as I get it.

What's the point of a rotating racking arm - you can't tell when you're picking up yeast or trub anyway. Maybe if you had a sight glass mounted above the cone. I had blichmans for years and never felt that the arm helped anything. Even if you had clear tubing, the fast rate of flow would not be able to distinguish between clear beer and clear beer that was slightly picking up sediment. My mo is to make enough that you are guaranteed to get your yield by dumping from a set height. Dumping straight from the rack port on a hemoth seems to be a fine way to go. No rotating arm - skip it.

Awesome, Thanks StMarcos for that tidbit, it'll probably be an issue of price, at least at first. I've got a month or so before I get it, so I'll have some time to shop around. Thanks for the links and info everyone.

Awesome, Thanks StMarcos for that tidbit, it'll probably be an issue of price, at least at first. I've got a month or so before I get it, so I'll have some time to shop around. Thanks for the links and info everyone.

Watch ebay for deals. Butterfly valves are tough to find on there at a good price, but I've gotten used elbows, Tees, clamps, and new gaskets pretty cheap.

Most people don't realize it right away, but 1" and 1.5" fittings use the same clamps.

Two great options are:

http://conical-fermenter.com/products/spares/
1" Sanitary ball valve

and

http://www.stpats.com/sanitaryfittings.htm
ULTRA Sanitary Butterfly Valve

I have the second one and like it much. The body is held together with a tri-clamp in stead of 4 bolts. I like this because I do disassemble the valve after every brew and with it I don't have to use any tools, well .. except an allan wrench to take the handle off, but not 4 bolts as well.. Limiting the need for tools is a major part of convenience for me.

Does the butterfly restrict flow on the dump? That's my only concern with those.

No.

But, I mean... if you have chunks of gunk that are approaching 1" diameter in the fermenter, then??

Any of these would be great. At this size it's just a matter of which style you like better.

Awesome, thanks. Price will probably be a deciding factor as it took several months and some bday money to save up enough for the fermenter alone. I don't want to get it and then have to wait another month to use it because I couldn't get the valves.

I'm about to purchase a Brewhemoth and the only thing holding me back is how I'm going to clean it. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Original Sanke Keg and Large Carboy Cleaner? It seams like it would work and I would not have to use 20 gallons of Oxy. Then I could spray it down with sanitizer using a spray ball. I don't really want to do a complete CIP. Any thoughts from the Brewhemoth owners?

Just wanted let folks now that Moorebeers Racking Arm fits well in the Brewhemoth.

For some reason you can't find it on their website. But google finds it...and you can order it.

https://morebeer.com/view_product/10826

BTW Just received my brewhemoth and I think I am going to love it.

Fits great in my freezer.

I would like to know more about your racking/sampling connection. What is stopping a bug from going into the sampling arm? When racking wouldn't be less messy to have a valve on the end of the racking arm.

I'm about to purchase a Brewhemoth and the only thing holding me back is how I'm going to clean it. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Original Sanke Keg and Large Carboy Cleaner? It seams like it would work and I would not have to use 20 gallons of Oxy. Then I could spray it down with sanitizer using a spray ball. I don't really want to do a complete CIP. Any thoughts from the Brewhemoth owners?

If someone wants to ship me a Brewhemoth, I would happy try to clean it with my Original Sanke Keg & Large Carboy Cleaner(TM). Might need a longer rod on it. I've always found the Carboy Cleaner guys good to work with, they might even build something for ya. [email protected]

Kally, I must copy your great CIP design the results sure look great thanks for posting.
Do you know the operating range of your spray ball in GPM or operating pressure range?

I thought I put the spray ball part number on one of the forum sites..? stlbrews.org or garagebrewers.com
It was from GW kent, their standard 1" or 1.5" spray ball.

Back