gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Irish Moss won't change the flavor. It, and other fining agents, act by attracting the charged particles and dropping them out. The nonfermentables are sugars that the yeast can't eat, but they are in solution, so will stay put. It can cause yeast to drop out, but this is only a problem with a hefe where you want the yeast. Even if bottle conditioning, there will be enough to carbonate - may take a little longer, but longer conditioning makes it better anyway.

So the dissolved gelatin in the warm water won't turn right into jello when I add it to the already cold beer in the secondary ~35F?

My grocery store was out of Knox but there was a store brand unflavored gelatin (kroger) I am assuming it will work the same?

My current all grain strong Belgian is cloudy as miso soup. I am planning on adding gelatin. I am summarizing what I have been reading, and please correct me if I am wrong (or give me a thumbs up if I am right!) so I can do this correctly. I am adding it to my secondary, the beer is already racked in there.

-Any unflavored gelatin should do, just Knox is the cheapest.
-1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, put in 2 cups of water, bring to 170F for 10 minutes and then cooled down to 95F to be pitched.
-Stir it up so the gelatin mixes good.
-I can add it to my secondary (which is already racked) 2 days before bottling and it should be clear by then.
-There should still be plenty of yeast to allow for carbonation, just add the normal amount of priming sugar when bottling.

Am I corerct in the thought that once the fermentation is complete my risk of contamination goes down? Need to be certain I can open that lid up to stir in the gelatin a week after the fermentation has completed, adding some oxygen and such without messing up my brew.

Thanks!

Gentle stirring without splashing around won't introduce any significant oxygen to be noticeable. If you want to boil the water first then let it cool to 170 to be safe, you can, but by the time the fermentation is done, there's enough alcohol in there to finish off a few bugs. You should be all set.

Great thread.. I read the whole thing.. It should be Stickied .. pretty much covers anything about the use of Gelatin

Only if the beer is cold enough to form the proteins that are responsible for causing chill haze

It doesn't have to be that cold for the proteins to precipitate out in the presence of gelatin. You can (and I do) get beautifully clear beers after adding gelatin for a few days at fermentation temps. No chill haze.

Here's another gelatin/crash cool question I couldn't find an answer to.

I just added gelatin finings and am crash cooling a friends Raspberry Blonde Ale recipe.

Anyway, when it comes time to bottle, do I have to let the beer warm back up to room temperature before adding the priming sugar & bottling? Or can I just rack it to the bottling bucket/sugar while its still cold and immediately bottle?

Thanks all!

Here's another gelatin/crash cool question I couldn't find an answer to.

I just added gelatin finings and am crash cooling a friends Raspberry Blonde Ale recipe.

Anyway, when it comes time to bottle, do I have to let the beer warm back up to room temperature before adding the priming sugar & bottling? Or can I just rack it to the bottling bucket/sugar while its still cold and immediately bottle?

Thanks all!

Anybody?

I'm going to tr this for my pumpkin ale I have in the secondary. I racked from the primary after two weeks and found a 4 inch layer of trub, but it wasn't really compacted since there was pumpkin stuff in there. When I racked to the secondary it sucked up some of the trub/pumpkin stuff and probbaly some yeast. I'll post pictures of the before and after when I get a chance/remember.

Update: So I've added the recommended 1 tablespoon to 2 cups of water and dissolved the gelatin at ~180 degrees for about 10 minutes. I let the mixture cool to about 150F, and poured it down the side of the carboy to avoid aeration. I gave it a quick swirl and here's the starting picture....

IMG_0425.jpg

I just turned on my crash fridge and will place it in there tomorrow. I'll follow up with additional photos for those interested.

I have a question about dry-hopping and gelatin.
I have two kegs force carbing @ 12psi - 39F. Each keg has 2oz of pellet hops in a fine nylon mesh bag hanging from dental floss. I want to add the gelatin to clear this beer for Christmas, but do not want to remove the dry-hops because the aroma is not there yet.

Can I add the bloomed gelatin to these kegs while dry hopping?
My concern is the gelatin will form some sort of skin over my mesh bag (its a pretty big bag 6"x12").

Thanks so much.

As per several conversations with Mike McDole (Tasty) from the BN. These are his words exactly:

"I dry hop in the secondary warm. Rack to kegs after 5-7 days. Chill to 33-40F and add the gelatin in the keg. The gelatin works best if the beer is cold. You can also chill the secondary and add the gelatin there. That's more akin to what the pros do."

This has worked great for me. Beers like Mike's Janet's Brown w/ Russian River used gelatin in a production environment.

Sorry for the lack of updates. After chilling in the fridge for about a week there was noticeable clearing in the secondary. However, the beer wasn't perfectly clear and had some haze to it. My guess is that it was starch haze from boiling with the pumpkin instead of mashing. I was still doing extract batches at that point so I didn't have the option. I will say that the gelatin does do wonders for clearing hazy beers in general. I'll be using for clearing from now on since its minimal effort and doesn't add much cost to a batch. I'm hoping that doing all grain and full boils will enhance the effects.

Trust me:
  • I use a Tbs per five gallons
  • I let the powder sit for 10 minutes to slightly dissolve.
  • I heat the mix over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the gelatin completely disappears...never letting it boil.

If you do this, it will work just fine.

I am struggling with chill haze and have read 40 or more posts about gelatin just to get the quoted instructions

I think this post is really valuable, so I am bringing it back. Simple instructions that are too the point, Thank you!

How does this work when doing it into a bucket with a spigot on it? Will it freeze up all the yeast and trub and still let me rack from the bucket to a keg?

How about adding gelatin to a beer that has jalapenos in it and is still in it's primary carboy? I am of the lazy brewers school that wants to enjoy the brewing process without worrying about transferring to secondaries and tertiaries if at all possible. I know it's not hard, I just have a limited amount of carboys and it's always a logistical nightmare trying to time everything just right for the moves.

It will but it depends on the amount of yeast and trub you have. If your layer is too high it may cause you problems when racking. I'd much rather rack to bottling bucket after doing gelatin and then bottling out of it

I gotta figure out how to get this plastic dip tube to work and I won't have to worry about using the spigot I guess.

You can always use the gelatin at bottling time. Sometimes, the yeast/protein will tend to clump on the sides of the bottle if you do this. Unsightly, but it doesn't really change anything clarity wise once the beer is poured.

Is biermunchers method done to beer that has been cooled or can it still be at around room temp? Does one work better then the other?

Is biermunchers method done to beer that has been cooled or can it still be at around room temp? Does one work better then the other?

The gelatin will work much faster if the beer is cold. It will work at ale fermentation temperatures but will take longer, about five days. Crash cooling is a good technique in general but really works well in combination with the gelatin. The cheapest/easiest way to start crash cooling is to set the carboy/bucket in a cube cooler or keg tub with ice.

Sounds good. I'll throw it in my kegerator for a day so it cools down nicely.

+25

One of the best threads I've read to date. I've just added gelatin for the first time tonight. Did as many have directed, boil, cool, add, rest, pour... I used ~1 tsp for my 5 gallon batch of Boston Lager clone. It was already pretty clear but I want it perfectly clear. Added the fining to my keg and racked onto it. Can't wait to see the results.

Hold long do you usually let the secondary sit with gelatin in it before you bottle or keg?

Hold long do you usually let the secondary sit with gelatin in it before you bottle or keg?

If the beer is already cold then I only leave it 24 hours max, though it usually clears up overnight.

If the beer is room temperature I give it 3-5 days.

So I used the gelatin for the first time and had some questions. Mine was floating at the top when I went to rack the beer. Is that ok or did I not get it cold enough?

When I poured it into the beer I didn't mix it around or anything. Would that cause it not to work right?

Well you need to dissolve it first! :D

You'll want to get about a cup of water on the stove and add the gelatin to it. Then get it hot but not boiling. Boiling the gelatin will denature it and it will become useless. Once it's fully dissolved let it sit for 30 minutes to let the gelatin "bloom", then add it to the bottom of a secondary vessel and rack your beer on top of that. The whirlpool action from swirling will ensure it's properly dispersed throughout all of the liquid.

I did all of that to the t. Followed biermunchers post.

I didn't swirl it into the beer just poured it in.

Latest posts

Back