When does Diacetyl strike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the keg right now that brewed March 27th. I kegged it May 5th. It was the best tasting beer I've made. This week its not tasting so good. Bitter, no hop, and a touch of butterscotch.

What I'm asking is, how long after bottling or kegging will it take before Diacetyl is noticeable?

If diacetyl it is produced by yeast, it will be present early on and (usually) dissipate with time. If it wasn't present early on and became present later, you could have a pediococcus infection.

Diacetyl, if it is yeast derived, should appear as soon as it is produced, that is, during fermentation.

If at kegging there was no noticeable diacetyl, and it develops over time, that makes me think pedio infection. But it is possible you just didn't happen to notice it before you kegged it.

Should be palateable (tasteable) prior to packaging. That is, while the beer is still green. And fade the longer the beer is on active yeast whether that be the fermenter, bottle, or keg. The key words tho' are "active yeast".

There is a few diacetyl reduction techniques threads here.

If you didn't have it before and then it just appeared (as menschmaschine already mentioned)..
probrewer.com said:
Lactic acid bacteria - Potentially the most troublesome spoilage organisms due to their ability to grow in low oxygen conditions and their tolerance of low pH, high alcohol and hop extracts. They produce diacetyl. They can either be rod shaped (Lactobacilli) or cocci (Pediococci) and are both Gram positive.

Starsan may not kill these creatures.

I am serious. You put this in the beer to kill the bad guys I assume. What does it do to the yeast?
Also sounds like an general purpose sanitizer. I'll have to look for it.
I have never washed a yeast though I think I'm just about ready to start. I wouldn't know where to get a Phosphoric Acid or a Lactic acid in a small town or any town for that matter.
Please understand I live in a small town with limited resources and no mentors, so I grasp at any new tidbit. This is good info.
Thanks.

I'm going to pretend your serious.
star san - Google Product Search
It's and acid based sanitizer. It kills with it's low pH. Some brewers sanitize yeast with an even lower pH.
Acid Washing of Yeast
I assumed that the probrewer.com quote probably called Lactic acid bacteria "troublesome" because washing yeast at a pH of 2 may leave some alive.

Latest posts

Back