Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Just got my new Barley Crusher. Instructions say to crush 1 lb of grain before using it for real. Anybody really do this? Would this be for a test crush to check out the settings, or is it to remove left over machining debris? Just hate to waste a pound of grain. Wonder if there's something at the supermarket that I could use so I don't have to schlepp back to the LHBS.

I'm fairly sure it is to remove machine oils. Run some Cheerios through it. Sounds like fun.

I ran a fist full of 2row through mine to see the crush, then went right into crushing my first batch, turned out great.

Oops, got my BC in this weekend - unassembled an no instructions. Did my first AG Sunday without any prep. I don't recall any visible oils on the rollers. Had great effiency with factory settings.

Oops, got my BC in this weekend - unassembled an no instructions. Did my first AG Sunday without any prep. I don't recall any visible oils on the rollers. Had great effiency with factory settings.

Un-assembled and no instructions? Who sold you this? Was it used?

I thought thier selling point was "ready to use out of the box"

Mine came assembled with instructions.

Northern brewer. Not a big deal on the assembly I think it was just screwing the hopper on. Might have been something else - my son put it together while I was building the MLT manifold. Would have liked some instructions but seems like the default setting gave me a great crush. I don't want to jinx myself but I really think my efficiency was 82%. I'm still studying the software, and reading up on the proper calculation before I'm 100% confident. Seems too good to be true for a first time AG.

B

+1 to that. Unassembled and on instructions sounds odd to me.

To the OP, I used an old box of cereal that was in the cabinet as I did not have any extra grain on hand.

I didn't see that part when I read (as in - barely looked at) the instructions. No noticeable oils, and it worked great from the start.

2 batches so far, both with 80%+ efficiency.

Shredded wheat sounds like a good candidate for a test run. Too bad I didn't have this hobby a number of years ago, could have chewed up all the Captain Crunch and Fruity Pebbles before the rug rats got to them. Come to think of it, I still like Captain Crunch. French toast dipped in crushed Captain Crunch, fried, and then a few whole ones sprinkled on top of the syrup. For those of you who have little ones, they absolutely go crazy for it! Sounds like I have my breakfast menu planned for this weekend. Hmmmm, now what home brew would be best "paired" with it?

Shredded wheat sounds like a good candidate for a test run. Too bad I didn't have this hobby a number of years ago, could have chewed up all the Captain Crunch and Fruity Pebbles before the rug rats got to them. Come to think of it, I still like Captain Crunch. French toast dipped in crushed Captain Crunch, fried, and then a few whole ones sprinkled on top of the syrup. For those of you who have little ones, they absolutely go crazy for it! Sounds like I have my breakfast menu planned for this weekend. Hmmmm, now what home brew would be best "paired" with it?

Oh jeez, c'mon! Everybody knows that you pair Fruit Loops with an aged barleywine. It keeps the kids out of your hair for the whole day.... :tank:

zombie.jpg

Back