Exo's IPA (a Walker-San AG clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
So, I've just ordered everything needed for my IPA. This will be my first all-grain. Going to pitch this wort right onto the slurry/trub from my Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale. I based it on Walker-San's Kaduva IPA.

Here it is:

5.5gal
Est. OG at 75%: 1.058
Act. OG (77% eff.): 1.060
SRM: 8.3
IBU: 65
ABV: 6.2%

Grain Schedule:
8# Briess 2-row Pale Malt
2# Briess Crystal 10L
1# Briess Munich Malt
1# Briess Victory Malt

Hop Schedule:
.75oz Chinook (12.1%)at 60min
.25oz Cascade(6%) and .25oz Northern Brewer (7%) at 30min, 25min, 20min, 15min, 10min 5min remaining and flame-out steep for 3min
1oz Cascade dry-hop
1oz Northern Brewer Dry-Hop

1tsp Irish Moss at 15min remaining

Yeast: Wyeast 1056

I've finished my recipe edits and am ready to brew tommorow.

I'm slightly concerned about this beer becoming to malty. I'm wondering if I should cut the 10L back and the Victory back any. I have 10# of Pale 2-row to play with if I cut anything back.

So what do you guys think? Will the 10L(16%) + Munich(8%) + Victory(8%) in those percentages be to much?

I'm in the same spot as you, thinking about my first AG recipe. What I would say, since I've looked at the extract version of that recipe closely, is that I wouldn't be afraid of the malt. I know Walker has described the beer as being a little harsh to some people, so I would be inclined personally to err on the side of having a pretty big malt backbone. The extract version calls for 8# of DME, just keep that in mind.

Ok, now my only other issue is wanting to add that 1/4 ounce of Chinook at some point in the boil. But I want an IPA...not a "boy this IPA is over-hopped" beer.

So I'll go with the above recipe and if it needs tweaking it will be tweaked after the tasting round.

It looks about right with an OG of 1.058 and a IBU of 59. That is a balance between the malt and hops. I like Munich a lot and add it to most of my beers. If you have an extra .25 ounce of hops just use them as FWH and add them to the kettle before runoff begins, it imparts a smooth bittering to the brew. I'm experimenting with it at present.

So, add the 1/4 ounce when I'm draining the mash/lauter tun into the boiling pot/keggle? I'm still researching FWH and I'm just not confident about the subject yet.

Yep that is what you do although a 1\4 ounce ain't all that much. It gives an IBU addition of a 20 minute flavoring addition. I once did a brew where all of the hops were added at the last 15 minutes. You add a lot but it came out surprising well.

1/4oz of chinook at 30min will add ~10 more bittering units...quite a bit when your already pushing 60. Full-boil as well.

If this beer doesn't bite me in the ass when I rack to secondary, I'll add some hop-tea.

Impossible to tell how well this will turn out, but it was most definitely bitter! Kinda makes me want to brew up a Pliny the Bastard!

FG: 1.060 (77% efficiency)

Had to kill a wasp while it was crawlin' up my keggle while doing the immersion chilling. Hence, the name shall be:
Wasp Bitten IPA

Edit: Ohh, I saved the yeast/trub out of my Horny PA and washed the carboy out. Then pitched the yeast/trub into my IPA along w/ a 1056 propagator. Almost 1/2-gallon pitch...

my IPA has taken on a life of it's own. I think about 6 or 7 people have brewed it now. that's a cool feeling.

and, of course, I expect a bottle in the mail. ;)

A Walker-San AG clone Update!!

I'm VERY impressed with this beer while racking to secondary. The Victory malt is shining through. A nice clean but very "there" mouthfeel of hints of multiple malt flavors and wonderful hoppy tastes. Not bitter by any means. Following is a heavy and refreshing malty aftertaste. No bitterness whatsoever in the after-taste...but I never find beer to bitter. The initial boil hopping is showing in the aroma, but not overly so. An IPA should smell HOPPY! So here's my solution:

1oz Cascade dry-hopped
1oz Northern Brewer dry-hopped.

What ya gonna do, ya know?

OG: 1.060
sec. reading: 1.013
AA% at secondary: 77.5

I should also note that the starter was 1/3gal or so of the trub/yeast cake from the Mirror Pond clone of mine.

Now, to prevent myself from dropping the wine thief in for samples.

Ohh, Walker I am going to need your add. to send you a few bottles. PM it to me if you please.

I should do so, as well. As I told Walker, this is one of the best beers I've ever had, certainly the best by far in my limited amount of production. Gorgeous aroma from the dry-hopped Cascades, just a wonderful amount of flavor. This really is what an IPA should be.

Who's Tom Waits? :p

Nah, it's your brew. I'll just keep credits in my sig where credits are due...same as you.

Back