Mash vs Sparge H2O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
OK so you mash with 1.5 quarts to 1 # grain
And you sparge with 1.5 quarts to 1# grain

How do you make a brew come out to 5.5gal?

This is probably an easy question but I had a bit too much of my APA last night and can't think straight.

Please advise.

- WW:drunk:

Generally you sparge to 6.5-7 gallons or until you reach 1.010. You have to allow for boil off.

vrolauf untill you collect the proper amount of wort remember that you will have some left in the mash tun so to get it exact you really have to know your system. You dont want 3 or 4 gal of wort left in the mash tun. I stop adding sparge water when I have collected 9 gal of wort and allow for 5 gal of runoff collecting 14 gal with 2 gal of boil off I am left with 12 gal to go to the fermenters I will loose about 1 gal in transfering so I will keg 5.5gal in each keg. Keep really good notes
JJ

I always fill my HLT with 9-10 gallons and sparge until 1010. If that means that I have an extra gallon or 2 in my kettle, then I just boil longer. If I arrive at 1010 and only have 4-5 gallons (never happened) I would top up my kettle to 7 gallons and boil.

wilsonwj said:
OK so you mash with 1.5 quarts to 1 # grain
And you sparge with 1.5 quarts to 1# grain

How do you make a brew come out to 5.5gal?

This is probably an easy question but I had a bit too much of my APA last night and can't think straight.

Please advise.

- WW:drunk:
Charlie Papazian says to use 1 quart per pound for the mash and 1/2 gallon for the sparge. Depending on the amount of grain you use, you might have to top off the fermenter with more water or you may have to boil longer.
I like to add an extra gallon to the sparge and check SG. If it is high I sparge with the extra gallon.
(A lot of folks use more than 1 quart per pound and 1/2 gallon per pound)

RichBrewer said:
Charlie Papazian says to use 1 quart per pound for the mash and 1/2 gallon for the sparge. Depending on the amount of grain you use, you might have to top off the fermenter with more water or you may have to boil longer.
I like to add an extra gallon to the sparge and check SG. If it is high I sparge with the extra gallon.
(A lot of folks use more than 1 quart per pound and 1/2 gallon per pound)

I use 1.25 and sparge to 7 gallons to boil down to 5.5.. This method averages 73% efficiency (for me).. Charlie has good info but Charlie doesn't mash in my rig. There are no absolutes My methods and gear are going to yield a different result than anyone elses with same recipie....

To answer the question posed, when doing AG, sparge until you get the sugar out, 1.010 is a great indicator .. then boil it down to the desired volume.. evaporation is your friend

Back