Pressures. Can i use 80-90 psi to push soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I have a McCann's carbonator pump system and was thinking of having seltzer water and soda's on tap. Can I push the sodas at the same pressure as my carbonator pump?

Thanks

Assuming you are using soda kegs... no kegs are rated for max thirty and tested to 50. it might hold 100psi it might not. I would not try it.

ggoodman said:
Assuming you are using soda kegs... no kegs are rated for max thirty and tested to 50. it might hold 100psi it might not. I would not try it.

My understanding is that Firestone and corny kegs are rated for 130 psi service pressure, so 80-90 should be no problem.

Is there a problem with pushing soda at that pressure?

Remember that Weird Al movie called UHF where the Janitor(Kramer from Seinfeld) becomes the star of the Kids show and there's a clip where he says: "Congratulations, Joel! You get to drink from the FIREHOSE!!!"

Yeah, that's going to be the problem with pushing soda at 80-90 psi.

In all seriousness, I know that's the pressure that carbonators run, but the post mix fountain heads are designed to compensate for that. Anyone who has cleaned the heads on a post-mix fountain and bumped the lever without those black nozzles on, or has forgotten to put the white pieces in first will tell you it can get a little crazy.

If you're running this through a beer tap, you'll have some issues.

On a different thread, one of the posters used 1/8 line to reduce the flow rate from his carbonator setup.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/carbonator-installed-261089/

I plan to copy his carbonated water setup. I figured that if 1/8" line works for the carbonator at 80 psi, then maybe I could push premixed soda at the same pressure using 1/8" line. Then I could use one regulator for the carbonator and to push premixed soda.

From my understanding, the smaller line drops the pressure from 80 psi enough to use a beer faucet at reasonable flow rates.

On a different thread, one of the posters used 1/8 line to reduce the flow rate from his carbonator setup.

I plan to copy his carbonated water setup. I figured that if 1/8" line works for the carbonator at 80 psi, then maybe I could push premixed soda at the same pressure using 1/8" line. Then I could use one regulator for the carbonator and to push premixed soda.

From my understanding, the smaller line drops the pressure from 80 psi enough to use a beer faucet at reasonable flow rates.

would a smaller line not just increase pressure?

A smaller line reduces the flow rate an increases the pressure drop per foot of line.

Ramdough said:

Ok, I did not get the answer I was looking for yet, so I am going to rephrase the question.

If I can regulate my soda flow with a length of 1/8" line, is there any downside to pushing soda at the 80-90 psi?

If you're looking to copy EFaden's setup, you should ask him directly. Not many others have pushed soda at that pressure, so we really can't give you more than our opinions.

In my opinion, if your keg that you're using as a reservoir is held at that pressure, then you're definitely going to be overcarbonated. I'm not completely up to speed on how the carbonator works exactly, so I don't know if the output pressure is indeed the same as the input pressure. If it is, it seems an awful waste of gas to me.

Back