IOStar, Star San, Saniclean, One Step....LOST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use PBW to clean everything that needs to be cleaned, and StarSan for sanitizing. I works great for me. You can buy small packages of each and see which works best for you. Do buy locally or online? That might determine what you end up using too.

PBW + StarSan for the win.

...or whatever, they all work. Pick a cleanser and a sanitizer and run with it.

I would vote for PBW and StarSan. PBW is a miracle cleanser for carboys and buckets and I have never had any issues with StarSan. Plus, StarSan can be made in batches and lasts a while.

I'm completely sold on PBW cleaner & starsan sanitizer. The PBW has instructions on the back of the jar for different dilutions,depending on what you are trying to soak off. In a higher dilution,it says it can remove baked/cooked on crud.

only thing i can add to this thread, is buy a REALLY nice spray gun, I use might all the time, easiest way to clean things, I call in the Sanni Gun.. LOL

ive been using One step for the better part of the last 18 months. Only last night was I looking over some things and realized this is a cleanser only. So have I been getting extremely lucky with nothing being sanitized ? All but my last beer (17 batches last year) have turned out great.
I used PBW to clean my keggles and will be making the switch to Star San now for Sanitizer....

Puckhead said:
ive been using One step for the better part of the last 18 months. Only last night was I looking over some things and realized this is a cleanser only. So have I been getting extremely lucky with nothing being sanitized ? All but my last beer (17 batches last year) have turned out great.
I used PBW to clean my keggles and will be making the switch to Star San now for Sanitizer....

It acts as a sanitizer, too, but not at the same time. In other words, you need to get your surface completely clean with the onestep before you can use another dose of onestep to sanitize.

Need a little help. Today is day 3 for my first brew in the primary. I'm supposed to be removing the blow-off tube and adding the airlock (per my directions). I originally used C-Brite as my sanitizing, as this is what came with my kit. I took the leftover C-Brite/Water solution and put it in a small tupperware container and put it in the fridge (been in there since Thursday morning at 2:00 PM). Can I use this solution again today to sanitize and fill up my airlock? Or would you recommend I use some new C-Brite (I have a little left in the packet)...or just use some of the Popov vodka I have in the pantry?

Need a little help. Today is day 3 for my first brew in the primary. I'm supposed to be removing the blow-off tube and adding the airlock (per my directions). I originally used C-Brite as my sanitizing, as this is what came with my kit. I took the leftover C-Brite/Water solution and put it in a small tupperware container and put it in the fridge (been in there since Thursday morning at 2:00 PM). Can I use this solution again today to sanitize and fill up my airlock? Or would you recommend I use some new C-Brite (I have a little left in the packet)...or just use some of the Popov vodka I have in the pantry?

I just brewed a Brooklyn kit (Everyday IPA) and decided to get rid of the C-brite as it reminded me too much of bleach. I used vodka in the airlock, seemed safer than using c-brite.

I've been using vodka in my airlocks for quite some time now. Anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning. If you get a suck back,No flavors will be contributed.

You really want a no rinse sanitizer. Get a big bottle of StarSan. It's one ounce in 5 gallons so it will last for years. And yes, it works great in a spray bottle. I mix it up in a one gallon bottle of distilled water so it can be reused many times. StarSan matched with the vinator makes bottling a breeze. And remember, it really is no rinse so don't fear the foam!

C-brite spray bottle...starsan in a 5-gallon bucket and PBW/oxyclean for cleaning. Also, I accidently bought saniclean instead of starsan, it rocks. Its more concentrated and great for getting off beer stone and cleaning after PBW

Saniclean is great for cleaning beer lines and flushing pumps after a PBW cycle. No foam means little cavitation in the pumps. Good for bottle prep too. Also nice when filling kegs so you can actually see the beer rise to the top.

Brew On!

All three are fantastic.

FWIW - I use a 70/30 blend of Oxyfree (Walmart or Meijer) and TSP90 (Red Devil brand)....available at ACE hardware and most other full service hardware stores.

Latest posts

Back