Immersian heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
So, I have the kegs to begin my journey into all grain. I plan to start by building one into a BK, and the other into the HLT.

Instead of drilling holes in the HLT keg, have any of you used something like this? Is this a feasible option?

immersianheater.gif

looks expensive and inturisive... ha im drunk, whats wrong with a propane burner, damn I have wet dreams about banjo burners!

Yes, banjo burners are dream inpiring :rockin:

But, I would like the HLT to be electric as I am building a rather ghetto tiered system for this first go around, and don't want a propane burner hanging out in the air.

It's feasible. People build heatsticks too. Those are probably cheaper than that thing. Just make sure you have a high enough wattage to get enough water hot.

So, I have the kegs to begin my journey into all grain. I plan to start by building one into a BK, and the other into the HLT.

Instead of drilling holes in the HLT keg, have any of you used something like this? Is this a feasible option?

immersianheater.gif

That heating element looks like 2,000 watts in size, what are the specs plus does it require a 20 amp receptace? Nothing wrong with electric heating if you have the BTU's needed and ampeage matched to volume you want to heat. Is that element is available at a low price?

I'm not sure of the excact size of the element shown, I was more wondering if something like this would work.

I know they make a unit that will fit a 55 gallon container, so I'm sure I could find a model that would work in a keg.

I will do so more research and report back.

If you are wanting to heat or boil more than seven gallons... it better be in excess of 5000W. Most barrel heaters that fit 55 gallon drums are not meant to boil anything, just heat them... so thier output would be suspect.

First you need to determine what sort of volumes you are going to be dealing with, then determine the WATT output of any heater you are considering. THEN you need to think about how you are going to feed an element that will more than likely need 240VAC and at least 30A.

Back