Cider bottling concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firehawk69

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a batch of cider that I just bottled. I used cranberry and apple juice with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 3 gallons and pasteur champagne yeast. I was concerned about it being too dry, so I back sweetened with 11.5 oz of apple juice concentrate and 1 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate. My concern now is that the sorbate will prevent carbonation with 2.3 oz corn sugar for the entire batch. Is my math off and are my concerns justified, or am I just putting too much thought into it?

I have a batch of cider that I just bottled. I used cranberry and apple juice with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 3 gallons and pasteur champagne yeast. I was concerned about it being too dry, so I back sweetened with 11.5 oz of apple juice concentrate and 1 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate. My concern now is that the sorbate will prevent carbonation with 2.3 oz corn sugar for the entire batch. Is my math off and are my concerns justified, or am I just putting too much thought into it?

Well, IF the sorbate does its work, it will prevent carbonation (as well as bottle bombs from the apple concentrate fermenting).

But sorbate isn't "magic" and will only work if the cider was completely finished, clear, and with very little suspended yeast. It works better in the presence of sulfites, so if you didn't use campden tablets the sorbate might be less effective.

What was the SG of the cider, and was it completely clear? If it was at .996 or below, and completely clear, you will probably be ok and not have bottle bombs. You won't have carbonation, either, though.

Final Gravity at bottling time was 1.008 and the cider was crystal clear with no suspended yeast. I have been keeping an eye on it and it is carbonating a little bit, just going slowly. But I expected it to take at least a week to condition.

Latest posts

Back