Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good accurate digital thermometer that can be calibrated with a long probe (preferably 7 - 9").

I am also looking for a 2nd thermometer that has a temp alarm that I can use to monitor strike temps, etc. Some of the food thermometers with alarms I have seen you can't submerge the probe.

Thanks for the suggestions,

David

I have 2... One I bought at kohl's and one from target. I submerge the probe all the time and never have any issues. Both have temp alerts and the one I got at kohl's even has 2 timers. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to submerge a probe.

earwig - thanks for the info! Which one's are you using? Some thermometers where the probe is on an extended wire (not ss) can only be submerged up to the wire. You can't submerge any of the wire.

earwig - thanks for the info! Which one's are you using? Some thermometers where the probe is on an extended wire (not ss) can only be submerged up to the wire. You can't submerge any of the wire.

I don't submerge the wire. When I want to keep it in the boil for a longer period of time I dangle it from the side or tie to to a ss skewer and let it hang in. I can't live without these things. One is called "TruTemp" and one is a "Food Networks" thermometer, this is the one from Kohls.

I got one of these from target and was surprised to find out it was pretty accurate. I'm at 1000' and it showed boiling at 211.

It's cord is covered in some sort of rubber, I'm guessing silicon. I still make sure not to get where the cord meets the probe submerged as I don't trust that it won't kill it.

Back