Dunkel Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a Dunkel Doppelbock similar to the wonderful Andech's version. What I remember from it was dark color, rich dark fruit flavor.

Here is the recipe so far:
1# Caramunich
.25 # Crystal 150
1 oz Carafa II for color
15# Weyerman Munich
4.5# Weyerman Pils

OG - 76
FG - 20

Hallertau hops at 60 mins for 24 IBUs
Pitch to 2206 yeast cake.

Anyone have any thoughts about specialty grain amounts?

I made a similar recipe last year, with the same amounts Munich & Pils, and with 1.5# of CaraMunich, which is basically the BCS recipe.
So I replaced 0.5# Caramunich with 0.25# Crystal 150 and a dash of Carafa for color.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Gotta revive this... sorry

Anyone ever find a suitable Andechs Dopplebock clone? I visited during oktoberfest this past year, and that particular beer was my favorite of all

Gotta love taking good notes :)

Here is the recipe I used to make 5.25g, mashing at 152F:

Caramunich 0.82
Lt Chocolate 0.49
Crystal 150 0.16
Germ Lt Munich 9.81
German Pils 2.80

Which yielded a OG of 76.5 and FG of 22 and 7.2% ABV

That is pretty close to the listed numbers of 18.5 RI and 7.0% ABV on the Andech's site - http://www.andechs.de/kloster-andec...ezialitaeten/andechser-doppelbock-dunkel.html

I had a tasting party, and we all agreed that my version was too rich in comparison to the German versions on hand (no Andechs).

Notes from then "Perhaps next time, balance amounts of C150 & Chocolate, reduce Caramunich. Go lighter, with more melanoidans"

I haven't made the recipe again. If I were going to make it tomorrow, I'd try this:

Caramunich 0.40
Lt Chocolate 0.25
Crystal 150 0.25
Melanoidan 0.25
Germ Lt Munich 6.3
German Pils 6.0

Good Luck

Awesome work, looking forward to hearing how the next one comes out. I am doing a n Oktoberfest first, once that is done lagering I will start on my andechs clone myself. Do you think a decoction would be beneficial over the melanoidin?

NuclearRich said:
Awesome work, looking forward to hearing how the next one comes out. I am doing a n Oktoberfest first, once that is done lagering I will start on my andechs clone myself. Do you think a decoction would be beneficial over the melanoidin?

Decoction mashes are a pain in the ass on my system, but malty German lagers are the styles I will take the time to do it. IMO its worth it

You can do a decoction if you'd like instead of the melanoidan. I get very good results with melanoidan in Helles, Pils, Bocks, Dunkels, etc.

Decoctions are enough of a pain for me that I only do them for high gravity lagers (>1.090) as the improved extract yield makes it worth the time and effort on my system, and it means I only do it a couple times a year, which allows it a fun experience. Invite some buddies over to stand around the burner in the cold.

I think I am going to pull the trigger and create this beer. I really miss it. I have not found any other likeness of it on any other website, so Im going to go with what is listed here... wish me luck!

I did my best with a crack at this. I am tasting it right now. So delicious. Not quite Kloster Andechs, but damn is it tasty.

6.5 lb Pilsner malt
6.25 lb Munich II
0.375 lb Caramunich
0.25 lb Crystal 120L
0.25 lb chocolate malt

2.5 oz Hallertau (3.9%AA) @60mins

Double decoction mash.
Maltose rest: 146F for 90mins
Dextrinization rest: 160F for 60mins
Mashout: 170F for 15 mins

90 min total boil time

Wyeast 2487-PC Hella Bock

Est OG 1.073
Est FG 1.018

Primary fermentation: 52F 7-14days (until krausen just starts to drop, SG ~1.030)
Lagering: slowly drop temps to 35F over 2 weeks, and hold for at least 2months

In actual practice, I hit my first rest at 147F, but my decoction did not increase my temps enough and I had to add some extra hot water, and still only reached 152F. The next anomaly was that my pre-boil volume was higher due to the extra hot water I had to add for the step infusion. I changed to 3oz of hallertau because I thought it would need it for the extra volume. I ended up with 6gals post boil. When I went to transfer to glass for lagering, I only have 5gal carboys. So I transferred the extra to a 1gal jug and added oak cubes for fun. I was getting impatient, and while I wanted to lager for 3,4 or even 6 months, I was satisfied (by way of taste and smell) with 2 in the end. For the oaking, I did 0.5oz med toast added to ~0.9gals for 40 days (tasted every week or so until I found it to be just a tad too oaky, as per the recommendations I found around on HBT). I ended up with only 8 bottles of that, but boy am I excited to try some soon.

So my gravity was a tad lower, due to a higher volume. The extra 0.5oz hops might not have been necessary since it was lower gravity, but it was an on-the-fly decision. I don't think it hurts its character at all. The dextrinization step should have been higher temp, so the body may have been affected.

Heres some present day tasting notes. 17days of bottle conditioning, after using light DME for priming, targetting 2.3vols CO2.

-Big time head, perhaps not quite an equalized carbonation as its feels slightly flatter than expected. The head is beautiful, though. Big cloud of light brown foam, with excellent retention. The head reduced into a persistant, moderate cap. Crystal clear ruby brown beer. It should be a little more brown and darker overall. Perhaps due to the extra volume, perhaps I could use a darker crystal, maybe 150L.
-The aroma is distinctly bock-like. Malty, melanoidins, a tad toasty, a tad caramel. Doesnt smell like the typical darker doppelbocks, which is something I thought Andechs also did not possess: none of the deep sweetness of a rich ripe fruit. Not much of a hop aroma, which is desirable.
-Flavor is great. Malty, a little toasty, lightly sweet. Clean, with just a tad bit of bittering that only serves to make it taste like beer, and no distinct hop quality shows through.
-Mouthfeel is too light for the style. It is very light, quite refreshing and really makes it deceptively drinkable. I think its awesome, but its not stylistically correct. Clearly due to my missed decoction temp. Could also be that it is a tad under-carbed, which may improve in a couple weeks time (but may also only serve to give it more effervescence and therefore more crisp and light).
-Overall I am in love with the beer in general. The cloning still needs to be refined. I would hope that a proper pre- and post-boil volume would get the color right, and that a corrected mash temp would make the body just a shade thicker. I dont see myself really messing with any of the malts until I brew it again, or if someone else does and gets the process tight and perfect with similar results.

Hope this is helpful.

20121130_212850.jpg

Oh my actual stats were:
6gal
1.062 OG
1.??? FG WTF happened? Wheres my note dammit?! estimate actual at 1.015
6.3% ABV
19 SRM
35 IBU

Looking at the GU:BU, I definitely made it swing towards a more hop-forward ratio. I think the lagering helps the hoppiness to mellow, and it ended up tasting still mostly malty, but I think if I hit all my numbers originally, it would be a bit more malty. Hope all this is helpful for anyone looking to try it themselves. I will do it again, just not anytime soon.

recipe GU:BU - 74:31(2.38:1), actual - 62:35(1.77:1)

Hey NuclearRich, I was just wondering if you've brewed this recipe since and if you would recommend any further changes to recipe or process? I've brewed plenty of ales but this will be my first lager so I want to do everything I can to get it right. Thanks!

I did brew it again at the end of last year, and I even have some bottles left! I really loved the way it came out this go around. I will post statistics when I get home from work. I also racked 3 gallons into a bucket that fit in my freezer... and now I have EISBOCK!!! I let that lager for almost a full year now, and will be bottling it as sooon as I find time this fall.

My last go on this recipe was for 7.5gals so I could eis a portion of it, so I'll just post percentages of the grist:

47.7% pils
45.9% dark munich
2.8% carapils
1.8% crystal 120
1.8% chocolate

26 IBUs of a noble variety of hops

And I used a cake from a batch of oktoberfest, using wy2633.

Still double decoction.
1.075 OG
1.016 FG

came out really great, but still not andechs. I'd think about adjusting it a shade darker, and less munich. The yeast might have been the wrong choice too. Basically this tasted like a double oktoberfest. Which I totally love, so I might just stick to this for my own tastes, but I wouldn't call it a clone.

Andechser Doppelbock - Recipe
Inbox
x

Brandhorst Edith <[email protected]>
11:40 AM (56 minutes ago)

to me
Dear Mr Jackson,

Thank you for your kind interest in our Andechser Doppelbock.
Unfortunately – it is secret.
Due to basic consideration we are not allowed to give you the recipe.

Many thanks for your understanding.

With best regards
Edith

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
KLOSTERBRAUEREI ANDECHS
Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts
i.A. Edith Brandhorst
Vertriebsinnendienst
Bergstr. 2
D - 82346 Andechs
Tel: +49 (0) 8152 376-249