hop bag with pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i just finished my second AG and was wondering if you guys use hop bags for pellets. i just seem to get a lot of hop residue on the sides of the keggle after the hot break-i didnt know if this was effecting how much was being used for bittering and if i would be better off keeping the pellets in a bag?

A bag will help with that for sure. Personally I don't add the hops until after the hot break. And when they do stick to the side I scrape them back into the kettle right away. If they're not in the wort they're not giving you anything after all.

fermcap drops are great for keeping the hops off the sides too. I started using 1 drop per gallon and I have no hop residue clinging to the sides...also helps with the hot break.

alright, maybe i'll start using some cheesecloth. do you guys skim off the hot break? last brew i had about 6 inches of foam (plenty of room since i do 5 gal in a keggle) and i was very tempted to grab all of it but like i said, hops...

Back