wyeast Trappist high gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
Last week my extract kit from Tallgrass came in the Velvet Rooster. I new I wasnt gonna brew till this weekend so just put the unopened box in the closet ,well ready to go Saterday but the yeast wasn't . never used wyeast before ,so I didnt know I should have put in the fridge immedietly . Broke the starter bag ,The bag sat all day yesterday and didnt bloat or anything . Is it no good or will it come around ?

If you're using trappist high gravity yeast, I'm guessing you're making at least a semi-high gravity brew, so you really should make a starter anyway. Like Pilgarlic said, that's the best way to tell if the yeast is good.

well it been sitting two and 1/2 days no bag bloating you think it will really do anything in a starter. Thinking will just go buy new bag. hate to lose two more days waiting .plus I have to pickup DME for the starter.

That is a 1.080 beer. You really do need to make a starter for a beer of that high a gravity. The yeast you have will probably be OK.

For a beer that size you really need a large starter. Check out yeastcalc.com for information on making a stepped up starter.

If you don't make a starter, be prepared to wait several days to see any fermentation activity. The yeast will spend a lot of time in the beginning just to reproduce to cell counts sufficient to ferment the beer.

Havent figured out the calculator yet , was thinking the 4 cups water 1 cup dme would do it. when you say you need 1 liter of yeast , I see people decant and then there is just the white line of yeast to use , which is not 1 liter but a % of the liter is that correct?

It can take up to 3 days for the wyeast pouch to bloat, that happened to me with the german wheat yeast, it did bloat up and used it and worked perfectly. If you do not want to make a starter just get another pouch and dump both of them in, double pitch. If still not bloated then call the place you bought it from, if it is from NB (they have the Tallgrass kits), they should change it without cost, that's what they offered to do with my german wheat yeast.

Sometimes Smackpacks will not inflate and are still OK.

To have the proper yeast cell count for that big a beer without making a starter you really need 6-7 packs.

With a single step starter with intermittent shaking you should use 2 packs in about a 3.5L starter. Yeastcalc.com gives the calculations to start from one pack and make it in smaller sizes for each step.

Weighing DME is much more accurate and you would use 350 grams for that starter.

3.5 liter , wow that alot of starter . but again after you decant your just using the yeast at the bottom ..correct

Well I'll be . went home last night .late on the 3rd day smack pack started to bloat. and was really big this morning .so I put it in fermenter and will start the starter batch tonight

Back