Yeast culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
In your opinions what is both the better and easier method of storing yeast and why, a frozen yeast bank or yeast cultures (petri dish)? I've been culturing yeast for about a year or longer and I'm just wondering if there's a better way. Thanks, Mike

I like the baby food jar method. Just fill a bunch of baby food jars (or any small jar that can be sterilized) with about 1/8" of agar and wort and inoculate them with a tube of liquid yeast or a starter made from your favorite micro brew. They'll keep in the fridge for a year or more. You just need to plan ahead so you have a starter ready when it's time to brew.

Tom

I like the baby food jar method. Just fill a bunch of baby food jars (or any small jar that can be sterilized) with about 1/8" of agar and wort and inoculate them with a tube of liquid yeast or a starter made from your favorite micro brew. They'll keep in the fridge for a year or more. You just need to plan ahead so you have a starter ready when it's time to brew.

Tom
That's my biggest problem. I never have one ready when the mood strikes me to brew.

a frozen yeast bank or yeast cultures (petri dish)? I've been culturing yeast for about a year or longer and I'm just wondering if there's a better way.

If you want easier, check out the suspension method. You harvest from your dish and let the yeasties float in sterile, distilled water. Stores at room temps for longer periods, theoretically, than on agar media.

Back