Belgian Dark Strong: 84F fermentation temp. What does this mean?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I got a recipe for a super fruity and and estery Belgian Dark Strong that says the fermentation temp is 84F. So, what does my fermentation profile look like?

For most of my ales, my ferm. schedule is:

Pitch at T-2. Hold 18 hrs.
Increase to T-1. Hold 18 hours.
T-0 until activity slows.
T+1 for 12 hours.
T+2 for 12 hours.
T+3 for 1 day.
T+4 for 1 day.
T+5 for 1 day.
T+6 for 1 day.

With "T" being the ferm temp (usually 68F).

For an 84F ferm temp, should I follow this schedule, or should I start lower and ramp up more dramatically at some point?

I got a recipe for a super fruity and and estery Belgian Dark Strong that says the fermentation temp is 84F. So, what does my fermentation profile look like?

For most of my ales, my ferm. schedule is:

Pitch at T-2. Hold 18 hrs.
Increase to T-1. Hold 18 hours.
T-0 until activity slows.
T+1 for 12 hours.
T+2 for 12 hours.
T+3 for 1 day.
T+4 for 1 day.
T+5 for 1 day.
T+6 for 1 day.

With "T" being the ferm temp (usually 68F).

For an 84F ferm temp, should I follow this schedule, or should I start lower and ramp up more dramatically at some point?

I usually pitch at normal temps (65-68) and let the temp rise naturally until it peaks, then raise the temp 1* each day until I reach low 80's. Hope that helps.

Belgians are all about the ester profile of the yeast, so with mine i typically pitch at 68 and just let it ride up to 75 for the first 18 hours, then let it free ride as high as it likes. Don't be afraid to let that yeast express itself.

Depending on what strain you are using, I think 68 is probably too high to pitch. I'd personally pitch at 62-64 and hold it there for the first 24-48 hrs and then let it free rise or even add some heat if you need to help it finish out, but you shouldn't need to push it above mid 70s. I've found you'll get a surprising amount of fusels/higher alcohols and/or unpleasant esters from pitching in the upper 60s with trappist/abbey yeasts.

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard the "let it go" thing before, but the temperature outside your carboy affects what happens in the carboy as well. If it's in a 40F garage, "letting it go" will result in a lower fermentation temp than "letting it go" in a 75F garage.

So either way, what you do affects what happens in the carboy. And the question still stands, a very reputable brewer gave me the info "84F fermentation temperature". What does this mean?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard the "let it go" thing before, but the temperature outside your carboy affects what happens in the carboy as well. If it's in a 40F garage, "letting it go" will result in a lower fermentation temp than "letting it go" in a 75F garage.

So either way, what you do affects what happens in the carboy. And the question still stands, a very reputable brewer gave me the info "84F fermentation temperature". What does this mean?

Thanks!

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where you could hold a beer at 64 in a 40 degree garage so your 'let it go' scenario is a little flawed, but I understand your point. When I say hold at '64' that's assuming you've got a temp controlled ferm chamber on some sort and you'd let it free rise in there as well.

If you really want to know what the brewer meant, he's probably the one to ask.

I wouldn't ferment anything that hot to start, and in any event, you need to use the right yeast.

While it is the practice of many homebrewers to ferment their Belgians in the mid to high seventies, this practice in not born-out in that of Trappist and Abbey breweries. Most of them would follow a profile much more like what you described, starting between 64 and 68 and allowing it to rise a little toward the end. Much the opposite of the "let it go" mentality I hear about in the US, Trappist breweries seem to me to be quite fanatical about carefully controlling their fermentation, at least if reports in Brew Like A Monk are to be believed.

I haven't answered you question, have I? My point is that I think you are right to wonder about properly controlling the fermentation of this beer.

Thanks again for the replies.

Problem is: I still have no idea how to go forth with an 84F fermentation temperature!

Start it at 68 for the first 24 hours. THen let it free rise to 84 over about 2 days. Hold there for a week or so. Use a heat source if you need to.

I did this with a couple recent belgians - a saison and a golden strong - and they both turned out beautifully. I know Jamil recommends starting for the first 24 hours at 68 before letting rise. I think I started at 68, by 12 hours they were at 74, held in the 70's for the next 2 days, then let free rise into the 80's.

What yeast are you using? With proper O2 and pitching rates, the fusels shouldn't be an issue.

Okay! I'm going to try that! 68 for 2 days and then ramp it up. Thanks everybody.

I have an issue, my batch of Black IPA started at 54F or so ( I didn't double check) and due to my stupidity after hooking up my stc-1000 and plugging in the freezer, it took me a whole day to figure out why my fermenter temp was so high, I didn't turn the freezer back on at the switch. Anyway, my OG was 1.062, and it now sets without any action that is noticeable, and the SG is 1.010. I don't taste anything odd, but 5-1/2 days to ferment out hasn't happened before. My yeast is ESB London 1968. Wait I take that back, a year and change ago,
(when I was a really clueless noob) I pitched my yeast at around 90F, and in 24 hours it was done. I now start around 64F and stay there for two or three days, and ramp it up to 70 at day 7 or so. I also let the beer rest in the secondary for at least 3 weeks if not 4, to be sure anything funky the yeast have created will get re metabolized by the yeast. If I got off topic, please forgive me.

Latest posts

Back