Installing trellis today and planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDoc

Reaction score
Finally got most trellis parts and time to install.

10x10 PVC Sch 80 structure.

2 - Sunbeam
2 - Sterling
2 - Mt. Hood
2 - Crystal
1 - Tettnanger
1 - Magnum

_MG_6005small.jpg

Still designing half of it as only partial is built and in the ground.

No taller than 15ft though.

congrats! I got a wild hair this morning and bought Goldings, Tettnanger and Mt Hood they should be here thurs-fri. I live on th other side of town, around Athens Ga. What did you do to prep your ground?

congrats! I got a wild hair this morning and bought Goldings, Tettnanger and Mt Hood they should be here thurs-fri. I live on th other side of town, around Athens Ga. What did you do to prep your ground?

Prep ground? huh? LOL. well manually raked the ground to clear top... did weed killer about 3 weeks ago. then put in two different soil types of plant/veggines(20CF) or whatever.... then moo-nure (1 cf), PeteMoss (2cf) tilled into 6 mounds.... I still need more soil to fill the rest... haha. Probably total of 60CF.

_MG_6013.JPG

_MG_6019.JPG

_MG_6020.JPG

This is layer one... still 9ft to go. And no it is not crooked... the ground is sloped.

Looks good ! How tall will it be when your finished? or do you just keep adding sections as your hops grow.

Looks good ! How tall will it be when your finished? or do you just keep adding sections as your hops grow.

bottom of hill (right side) is prox 6ft.... top of hill (left side) 4 feet above ground. Probably only 9ft above this..... so 15ft and 13 foot. minus the mount height of approx .5-1ft. but id like to go higher... my only concern is getting the hops down.... that part still isn't planned out. :eek:

But.... if this turns out to be a good investment then I will clean the entire back yard and make it look very kick ass.... maybe put in a lil stream... heh.

Dumb question but are they going to get enough sun? Looks like a lot of shade there.

photo were taken between 7:20-7:50.... Im hoping soo though.... if not I will grow just sunbeam. Tracked at least 6 hours of sun.

Looks great!!! I live in Cartersville (about 20 minutes north of you) and my hops are around 3' - 4' tall at this point; they really take off. You'll have them up and growing in no time!

Looks good dude! I'll have too get pictures of my hops trellis when I get it installed. I put the rhizomes in the ground not long ago so I have a little bit of time. I should be building it in the next week or two.

Looks great!!! I live in Cartersville (about 20 minutes north of you) and my hops are around 3' - 4' tall at this point; they really take off. You'll have them up and growing in no time!

Im just worried for when I go on vacation.... may 22nd-31st.. heh. Might just cut them back before I go no matter what.... then hope they take a lil while to grow up and then train them when I get back.

Just installed a soaker hose for the one side and will wrap it around the other side later... not looking at using that till I go on vacation.... I dont mind doing it by hand. Is just wrapping on the side of the mounds (buried in it but just on the edge) ok or should I also run it along the top of the mound not buried as well?

ALSO
I have a big black ant colony (big black ants.. not the tiny ones but not the killer beyond human sized ones either :D) in the center of my trellis pretty much... are anta a problem or are they your friend for hops?

2 have sprouted so far.... 1 from Magnum and 1 from 1 of the Mt Hoods... :rockin: NOT EVEN A WEEK! Ill have pictures tomorrow probably.

Well so far all but 3 rhizomes are showing activity. The Magnum is close to 7 or 8 inches now. 1 Sterling, tetnanger, and 1 Crystal have not done anything yet visible. Most only have 1 bine shooting and only 2-3 I think have 2+ going. :rockin:

I am surprised they are growing this quickly. I have only watered them twice so far.... water meter shows them pretty moist when I go and check on them.

Well.... my trellis is the same size as last posted.... I think it was 3 rhysomes died. Still have a problem with weeding..... so..... Im gonna try and pull the crappy lil buggers out before they just die off on top and then toss over a sheeting that will stop crap from growing all around it. throw a small layer of dirt across all of it.. then mulch on top of each mound.

Then late winter/early spring i will erect the rest of the trellis and hopefully it can stay..... ill shoot the pres of the HOA if he doesn't like it. I'd even bribe my neighbors with beer to not care about it... haha! :tank:

Question.... being that I didn't harvest the bines at all..... am I safe to cut them off or let them keep growing and die naturally?

it will die back naturally as it gets colder and the days shorter. leaving them is better, to let it build up the roots. does it freeze in ga?

we're supposed to have rain switch to snow this evening... w000t. my bines are just about all brown and dead, but they grew well this past season.

Just installed a soaker hose for the one side and will wrap it around the other side later... not looking at using that till I go on vacation.... I dont mind doing it by hand. Is just wrapping on the side of the mounds (buried in it but just on the edge) ok or should I also run it along the top of the mound not buried as well?

ALSO
I have a big black ant colony (big black ants.. not the tiny ones but not the killer beyond human sized ones either :D) in the center of my trellis pretty much... are anta a problem or are they your friend for hops?

Do you still have the ants? They could be Carpenter Ants which love wood. Not sure in GA, but they have them here in CA. Get rid of them anyway.

Well..... Its the new year and most of my hops lived!!! WOOHOO! Some are growing pretty rampant!

Installed weedblocker on the ground, added more soil on the mounds... put in a few new rhizomes, and mulched the mounds.

Currently:
Mt. Hood - 2
Perle - 2 (new)
Sterling - 2
Sunbeam - 2
Tettnanger - 1
Ultra - 1

The trellis will be finished hopefully before Easter as i need to get these bad boys growing up. This is definitely looking better this year.

well hes to slow on getting the website :rockin::D hmmm i search about a year ago and found nothing. ahhh brew haus!

Well I used Easter as a day to get the trellis fully built. Needed at least 4 other people to get it assembled. I will have pics up tonight or tomorrow. It stands about 13-16' tall depending on where (as its on a slope).

the top section is 10ft.... the bottom sections are not the same height... its about 3-6ft there... so between 13 and 16ft I think. Just gotta figure out how to get the hops down..... will be a PIA to get to the top

Back