Wyeast 1272 IPA smells like rotten meat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therichieboy

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd hoped my 1st post to this wonderful forum would be more positive but I need some help with a worrying brew.

Firstly sorry to all you non-metric guys for my units!!

I did an all grain mash at 65C for 75 minutes with 4kilos pale malt, 1200g munich malt,330g carapils, 300g white wheat malt and fly sparged at 75C. My water treatment was 12ml carbonate reducing solution, 1 tsp citric acid and 1 tsp salt for a 25L batch.

I boiled for 60 minutes (180g cascade and challenger hops total).

I think maybe my problems started after this. I chilled the wort down to about 35C and aerated. I then pitched my Wyeast 1272 smack pack at 35C!!!! This is due to a stupid mis-reading of my thermometer!

That said, the yeast has still worked and I brought the ferm temp down to about 22C overnight but my brew- on day 4 of fermentation is smelling like rotten meat and tastes pretty foul. It's pretty fusil tasting which I'm guessing is the hot fermentation but would the off flavour be due to this also?

Other factors that may have caused it are the fact that the smack pack didn't inflate over the 3 hours before pitching and that I relocated my fermenter after the temp went back up to 25C and it got pretty roused.

Any ideas?

Sorry- this is only my 3rd all grainer and I've never used wyeast packs before.

Cheers,
Rich

There isn't much you can do besides hold the temp down and let it ferment. Rotten meat smell is obviously not a promising start though. Give it a couple of weeks and then taste/smell again. If it isn't significantly better, then you'll need to just pitch it.

Back