Harvest all at once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfp03001

Reaction score
So I have determined today I an going to pick my hops on my first year Goldings. They are starting a to get a little brown at the ends and they spring right back open when you squish them.

This being my first year I was not sure if I should harvest them all at once or not though. Many of them are much small than others. I do want to get them all at once, since I don't have my one dehydrator and am boring one from my friend. Though I guess its not necessary. Also the bines are starting the wilt and losing leafs so I am not sure how much nutrients the ones I leave would still be getting.

Also I am sure I could find this somewhere but since I am making a post I figure i might as well ask. After everything is harvested do I cut the bines all the way down now or what do I do with them?

Time to cut them down and dry the cones. I leave the bines connected to the roots until they dry out. Lets them store nutrients for next year.

Be warned though, the bines can set new plants while lying on the ground.

Ok thanks, Yeah I cut them down and most of the bines; left a few feet that I could reach with out getting a ladder out again. The rest i put in the composer maybe I'll get planets growing in there next year :)

Latest posts

Back