Do You Cook With Your Homebrew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of beer dinners and I know tons of people use beer to cook with.... But how about your homebrew? Anyone have a dish you make using a specific homebrew of yours? I have a chocolate oatmeal stout Im going to use in my recipe for chocolate chip banana nut bread. Im also setting up a potluck dinner for my HBC where everyone cooks a dish with their homebrew and brings it in. We'll have everyone pick their favorite dish and the winner will get some sort of prize. So whos cookin what with their beer?

Sure. I love to cook and sometimes I think that is what got me into brewing,.

I do Braised short ribs using stout.

I also do a great braised duck legs and thighs using one of my BDSA's. Brown the legs and thighs, sweat some leeks, add dried cherries and some BDSA and braise. Excellent.

We use beer to make homemade BBQ sauce for wings and pulled pork, usually our Dark Ale. We also used beer to brine a chicken. For this we used our sweet potato beer.

Sure. I love to cook and sometimes I think that is what got me into brewing,.

I do Braised short ribs using stout.

I also do a great braised duck legs and thighs using one of my BDSA's. Brown the legs and thighs, sweat some leeks, add dried cherries and some BDSA and braise. Excellent.

That sounds really good. I was actually eating some duck with black eye pea chili when I posted this. No beer in it though.

My oatmeal stout is an important part of my Fire-In-The-Hole Chili. I also use beer in short ribs, roasts, etc.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Someone with a beer thats a staple to a dish of theirs. Had a feeling youd chime in Yoop, you do things right.

I make a
Sausage chili with Apfelwein and maple syrup
Venison chili with beer (any kind works amber to dark works best)
Brownies with Milk Stout

I make my beef stew with my brown ales. It's actually the only liquid I add to the stew. :D
Chili usually gets one of my pale ales added.

k47k, how much (and what grade) maple syrup, for what size batch of chili, do you use? Is it subtle or really noticeable?

I've used brown ale to make this corned beef several times. My brown ale wasn't so good, so it has sat in bottles for years :) I used 4 pints of the beer in a thick garbage bag, toss the full brisket and all the spices/cure in there, and let it sit in the keezer for a week.

http://www.homebrewchef.com/StoutCuredCornedBeefandCabbage.html

img_01733-47159.jpg

passedpawn maybe that's what I'll do with the last of the blonde ale I didn't care for (not a fan of the style I found out)... :D Give her the BEEF!!! :eek: :D

My whiskey stout is a staple in my beef stew, as well as my pulled pork, and the occasional steak, polska etc. Different brews for different dishes.

The last batch or two of porter and stout that I made didnt come out as desired...so theres about 2+ cases of 'cooking beer' in my store room. Goes in pretty much all my chili,stew recipes...usually comes out great.

Funny this thread started when it did...just today we did a leg of lamb with one of my dry apple ciders as the basting base. Came out fantastic!

I've made stout cupcakes with crushed up pretzels for the SWMBOs bday that got rave review. I put a bottle of stout in my chili. Last night the SWMBO made beer cheese soup with some pale ale.

Whenever I make spent grain bread I use about a cup of my beer. One of my stouts or porters if I'm going for something dark, a pale ale or something if I'm going for light. Always delicious! :mug:

I picked up a pack of jerk pork with peppers and onions at Publix recently and added a bottle of my IPA to it near the end of the saute with a pat of butter and it made a fantastically spicy sauce with a hint of hoppiness. Delish!

Every so often I braise chicken and root vegetables in something malty (ESB/brown ale/porter/scottish 80/whatever) with paprika and a bit of ancho chile powder. Comes out great. Adding some of whatever I'm drinking to beef stew usually comes out well. And I like beer bread, usually with a hoppy pale ale or IPA.

passedpawn said:
Anyone making sour beers, use a cup of the trub and some flour to make a sourdough starter. lacto and sacc = win.

That looks fantastic. It's funny, I was just thinking about doing that just yesterday.

passedpawn said:
I've used an oatmeal stout to make gravy for beef (twice). That beer's gone now though.

Awww. I can practically hear the sadness in those words. I know you miss that beer, but just think of all the new beers you've brewed since. Haha! "that beer's gone now." So so sad. Like a tattoo to remind you... Chin up, buddy! Hahaaaa!

I made fish and chips last night with a stout batter, that was delicious. We often make beef stew with beer in the slow cooker.

I just made half a pork center loin in the crock pot yesterday with some light colored beer & cayenne,among the usual seasonings. Topped wih caraway saurkraut.

I drink my homebrew while I make supper most nights, does that count? My wife frowns on booze in food (grew up a Mormon). She'll drink wine/beer before or after a meal, but not while eating.

LTownLiquorPig said:
I drink my homebrew while I make supper most nights, does that count? My wife frowns on booze in food (grew up a Mormon). She'll drink wine/beer before or after a meal, but not while eating.

That's interesting seeing as how the alcohol is burned off in the process. For you sir I'll make an exception and go ahead and say that counts.

My wife the chef made 'Beeramisu' for Christmas with my coffee stout. It was awesome, but then, she also made her own ladyfinger cookies for it too....

We use beer in just about everything when cooking. One of my favorites is my smoke roasted rosemary garlic chicken brined in IPA. There are a few good books out that deal with flavor matching beer to food recipes. The one that we seem to keep going back too is Garrett Olivers "The Brewmaster's Table".

I'll have to check that out. In the back of Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione there's a bunch of great recipes for cooking with beer. There's also good pairings for desserts and cheese IIRC.

Also,here's a mop sauce recipe for beef chuck roast or ribs in the pit bbq;
1 bottle Cooper's english bitter
1tsp worchestershire sauce
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1/4tsp cracked black pepper
1/2tsp red pepper
Mix & cover the night before intended use. The flavors will soak into the beer & flavor the meat woderfully. Serve the English bitter with the meal as well.

I would love to use beer in my recipes but I just like drinking the beer that I feel like I'm "wasting" them. I love food and my wife and I make amazingly complex foods with cooking wine, but maybe it's because we're poor (I'm finishing grad school and not working) that using a bottle of beer is just too precious to "waste."

Maybe when I start brewing 10 gallon batches once I can get a job in the summer or fall...

You don't need to brew 10G batches to use one bottle to experiment with cooking things in it. Especially pit bbq.

You don't need to brew 10G batches to use one bottle to experiment with cooking things in it. Especially pit bbq.

I think what I meant to say was that I don't have the resources to brew enough beer to drink and experiment. I'm on a ration of beer and to lose even one bottle could mean the difference between a night with beer and a night without. I prefer my beer for flavor and alcohol at this point :rockin:

My wife does sometimes. I have to admit I get just a little upset when she pours one of my beers into a broth or batter or something, although I always love the results...

I'm a sauce guy too so I'll definitely give that recipe a go. I think the importance of a great dry rub can't be replaced with a good sauce though. I think the blend of flavors from the rub and the sauce should give you something you can't achieve just using one or the other. But that's just me and I know everyone has their own opinion, especially when it comes to BBQ.

Back on topic....anyone have some pics of all this delicious sounding beer food?

I'm always cooking with my homebrew. I use it in chili, stew, for braising meat like short ribs, BBQ sauce ect.

Back