Black walnut leaf wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
I've read some interesting things about black walnut leaf, so I was thinking of trying to make a wine from them. I have a couple large black walnut trees nearby. I'm thinking a mix of sucanat, rapunzel, cane sugar and a hint of molasses for the sweeteners, and perhaps some honey. Perhaps two one gallon ferments to start it off. What do you think?

Thanks, I'd seen that, it seems they're more saying its a growth inhibitor for plants and possibly humans might be allergic. Other sources such as the Peterson's plant guides mention dermatitis but list a number of valid and traditional uses, and mention some studies on juglone showing it has strong pain relieving properties.

I have a gallon that's aged over a year now, will try it soon... It's always intimidated me because it is as dark as a stout. :/

American mead maker mag has a recipe for making green walnut wine, but its to late to get the green walnuts, they have to be unripe enough to stick a needle all the way thru before they harden up, I think Bastille day is the day they pick, WVMJ

My initial reaction was that of David. I know that you can not use saw dust from black walnut trees for barns with horses.

Back