Homebrew Ideas for a Festival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblack85

Reaction score
I am brewing two 5 gallon batches for a local homebrew festival. I have approximately 60 days until the festival and need ideas. I am planning on brewing a pumpkin beer (the recipe is below), and another beer that I haven't decided on yet... Any ideas for a decent beer that isn't too crazy? I don't have time to do a lager properly, nor do I have time to do any wood aged beers. I am looking for a good tried and true recipe for a great homebrew for a festival... any ideas?

Malts
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt
0.50 lb Crystal 40
0.50 lb Crystal 120
0.25 lb Special Roast

Hops
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.80 %] (60 min)

Misc
Wyeast Labs #1099
60 oz - Canned pumpkin (spread about 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet, and bake @ 350 for 60-90 min.)

Spices: add all of these spices at the end of the boil
1/2 tsp - Cinnamon
1/4 tsp - Ginger
1/8 tsp - Nutmeg
1/8 tsp - Allspice

Mash @ 154 F for 60 minutes
Ferment @ 65 F for 3 weeks then keg and carb

How many others are bringing beer?

I like IPAs, Stouts, Brown Ales, Blonde Ales... The list goes on and on.

Try and make something decidedly different from your other beer and from what you know others are bringing.

Eh. Go with the hops. Everyone loves hops.

How many others are bringing beer?

if it is anything like last year there will be around 100-150 kegs of homebrew from 4-5 different homebrew clubs around the region. That is in addition to all of the commercial beer that will be pouring as well...

if it is anything like last year there will be around 100-150 kegs of homebrew from 4-5 different homebrew clubs around the region. That is in addition to all of the commercial beer that will be pouring as well...

That sounds awesome! I wish our local legislators weren't such a PITA so we could do something like this.

I think I have settled on a smoked porter for my second beer with the pumpkin beer listed above as my first. It should be a good time, this will be the first year that I am providing beer for it.

I don't care if you've already decided.

I think for your second beer you should bottle condition with something weird, like lychee juice or beet juice or something. Make a wheat beer and condition with orange juice. Make a porter/stout and add coca-cola to it. Make a light cream ale and add sprite or something. Somehow get some kind of bizarre ingredient in there. Try to go weird, and you might hit a home run! Of course, you might also end up with 5 gallons of garbage, but who cares - that's what homebrewing is all about!

I was just going to recommend a Smoked Porter and then I saw your last post. How about that for coincidence?! I'm actually faced with a similar dilemma for our Homebrew Festival and I was thinking of a Smoked Porter and and IPA. Homer is right, though...everyone loves hops, which is why I need at least one IPA.

Back