Ideas for Fridge Floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
SCORE!!!

Just brought home my new (to me) soon to be kegerator. I picked it up off a co-worker for only 40 bucks. I guess he got a new Satinless Steel model, and didnt want this one anymore. Its ok, Ill give it a good home now.

Anyways, I've taken the door shelving out, and can easily fit 4 kegs, or 2 and a carboy if I want. Well that is until I decide what type of flooring to put in it. Right now it isnt flat and is lacking in the stability department. Anyone have any ideas for keeping as much room as possible? Thanks

3394-Fridge3Keg.jpg

How about a fiberglass cafeteria tray cut to size to give you a level floor?:D

You could use some of those flat rubber pieces that go under furniture legs to take up the space between the floor and the tray. :D

I just have piece of plywood cut to size, painted and held up by pegs from the sides.. it works great I can put 5 kegs on the shelf and the CO2 under the plywood shelf.

If you're not goint to use the freezer, you may also want to consider cutting some vent holes between the freezer and Fridge compartments. It will increase the airflow so things will cool down more quickly and efficiently.. Just watch out for any coolant lines!

My fridge looks almost exactly like that. I built a shelf for the kegs in the rear, and set the front kegs like you have it there. Can fit 2kegs and my 20# CO2 tank in the back, and 2 kegs in front. The split level design makes it easy to connect fittings in the rear, and raises the CO2 reg above the front kegs for easy adjustment. I'll take a pic tomorrow so you can see. took me about 10 minutes to make with spare wood I had laying around my garage.

That looks so nice & clean! I'm going to have to bit the bullet and make a new kegger. It used to live in a carport and the bottom door hinge rotted and I'm holding it together with bungies. It looks like the Before picture in a Rustolium ad. It's also a bit of a jamb getting four kegs in. I'd like space for five or six without having to pack hard.

But it keeps running & the hot tub isn't, so I keep pushing the project back.

ok, here's the pics of my floor:

I still need to make a small shelf for the front so it will hold a carboy for lagering, but since I have no way to cool a primary atm, I haven't been too rushed to make it. Eventually, after I get my perlick's, I'll have taps in the door too so I won't have to open the fridge for a drink.

It's not. I just put some of those rubber feet on the fridge floor and the wood rests on them. This way, I can remove the shelf to clean the fridge should a spill occur. I used a 3/8" sheet of plywood, and cut it to size. Then screwed a 1x6 to a 2x2, then screwed the shelf to the support. The weight of the kegs holds it in place perfectly. Oh..also...I had to sand the bottom of the plywood with my dremel in the back od the fridge. Because of how the fridge is molded, a little sanding was needed to get it to fit right and not slip/rock.

I can take more pics if ya need them and give you a diagram which should fit your fridge also. Just let me know.

Jester4176 said:
I can take more pics if ya need them and give you a diagram which should fit your fridge also. Just let me know.

If it wouldn't be too much of a trouble, then that would be great. Thanks!!

I was thinking about that. Its going to take some cutting on the hooks in the back, but I think it can be done.

Now Home Depot sells pretty much the same "grate" type shelving. Im wondering if it would be easier to just buy a section to cut to fit. The ones i have are two seperate pieces.

Brewpastor said:
Can you utilze the existing shelving in any way. I like a "grate" kind of floor so all the crap goes through.

Not in mine. All the shelves are either plastic, or glass. Same with Chimone's fridge most likely. Metal grate shelves haven't been in fridges for YEARS.

In mine, the lowest shelf was still too high to fit the kegs in there. I guess it could be adapted, but it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. the way mine is, if I need to clean up something, the shelf just lifts right out.

Here's what I did.
MDF in 2 sections for removal.
3712-IMG_9824.JPG

I may paint or do someting to cover the corny skid marks later. Bottom storage is not tall enough for cans but perhaps wine bottles.

Jester4176 said:
In mine, the lowest shelf was still too high to fit the kegs in there. I guess it could be adapted, but it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. the way mine is, if I need to clean up something, the shelf just lifts right out.

I was thinking about bending and cutting to the contures. Im definitely going with the back section like you did. I may or may not have a forward section.

Now olllo, how did you deal with the uneven floor in the middle? Did you put in a support underneath your forward section?

Front section is built like a pallet. Back sides stop where the hump begins. I didn't think that bending the curve was necessary. Took about 15 minutes to build.

I know because it was 125 F in my garage.

3712-SideViewofFridgeFloor.JPG

ETA: If you remove the front piece, I guess its the same as Jester4176.

Oh I see. Your floor is flat on the bottom. I am going to have to deal with a ridge in the bottom that goes all the way across.

Heh, I even considered some bondo and microballoons to fill it in and make it flat.

Why fill it in? Use a dremel or jig-saw to notch the board across the bottom where the hump is. I'll have more pics in a few for you.

well i was thinking about filling the whole thing in to make spills and what not easier to clean out, And by making this part flat

phixd.jpg

The part you're talking about making flat holds spills inside the fridge. I think it would be easier to clean the spills there, than have to wipe off the seals on the door, and the outside bottom front of the fridge. Just my take on it though. In the pics below, you can see that the beer spillage went to the front of this lip and was held there for easy cleanup. Here's full pics of the shelf. Left the dimensions at home, but will post tonight.

This should give you a better idea of how simple the shelf is.

Just to further elaborate. My floor is not even, but the MDF floor I built sits atop the high points on the floor thereby makingh things level and flat.

wont they still fit in there with the bottom shelves in place just pull the bottom drawers out for storage and leave the shelves there. This worked for me. mine is used for a fermentation vessel and the idea about cutting vents in betweeen the frezer and the frig works very well I also use a small computer fan for a convection fermentation vessel.
JJ

Back