3 kegging questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I just got into homebrewing and am already thinking about moving to kegging but had some questions first. I am thinking about a 2 keg setup but want to know what is the smallest size fridge that i could get that would fit two kegs (being in the military i move around a lot and don't always have a whole lot of space). My other question has to do with how long beer can be kept in kegs. I've never dealt with kegs but from what i gather, doesn't the beer go bad after you have had the keg tapped for so long? Also, i saw a nice setup on Midwest's website to where they have the complete 2 keg setup but they have a Brew Logic system and a Cornelius keg system. The Brew logic system is cheaper and i'm wondering what is so much better about the Cornelius system to make it more expensive?

1. if you can find the right Sanyo 4912 model 'dorm fridge' that will hold a couple kegs and your CO2 bottle, and you can drill through it and install a faucet.

2. you are thinking about keg's with a party tap...where you have to pump air in to dispense beer. you use pure CO2 on corny kegs. Air oxidizes beer. CO2 doesn't. My kegs taste as good (sometimes better) after being slowly consumed over 2 months, as the day I pulled the first pint.

3. call midwest and ask them what's different. looking at their website, both have a used CO2 tank, used ball lock keg, apparently the same regulator, and the same accessories. you may be paying more for quality, or just for the brand name.

Like Malkore said...the Sanyo 4912 seems to be the choice model.

Inventory1.JPG

Kegger5.JPG

Consider renting a CO2 tank rather than owning one. It's illegal to ship a CO2 tank in any state other than empty. So that might work out better for you.

Also depending on where you are stationed consider looking on craig's list for used refridgerators you can often find them for free. So you wouldn't feel too bad about leaving a free fridge behind. Also the summer break is a good time to find used dorm fridges if you are stationed near a college or university.

Another way to save money is when you get a kegging setup go with a single gauge regulator. The gauge for reading CO2 tank pressure is pretty useless.

here's a couple of other places to look for kegging set up.

www.homebrewing.org

keg connections usually also comes highly recommend by the folks that frequent this forum.

Thank you for your service to our country::mug:

Latest posts

Back