American Porter Thirsty Dog Ol' Leghumper Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmerrell

Reaction score
Brewed this a month ago and bottled last week. Used 3 corn sugar drops for each 32 oz Grolsch bottle. Fantastic after only a week of aging! Can't give you IBU's, but my OG was spot on and my final was 1.023. Poured with a finger of thick mocha colored head. And left a nice lacing on the glass. The recipe came from byo.com. The only thing I changed was the yeast; I used 3 sachets of Coopers yeast and let it ferment for 21 days. Didn't have anything to rack to, so had to wait for the corn sugar drops to arrive. No BYO store within a hundred miles. :)

Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper Porter Clone
5 gallons, extract with grains; OG = 1.067; FG = 1.024; IBUs = 24

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. John Bull plain light malt extract syrup
1 lb. malto-dextrin
10 oz. crystal malt (20° Lovibond)
10 oz. crystal malt (80° Lovibond)
10 oz. crystal malt (120° Lovibond)
1 lb. chocolate malt
1.5 lbs. Munich malt (20° Lovibond)
12 oz. flaked barley
8 AAU German Northern Brewer hops (1 oz. of 8% alpha acid)
5 AAU Liberty hops (1.5 oz. at 3.7% alpha acid)
London Ale (Wyeast 1028) or Burton Ale (White Labs WLP023) or (seasonal) London Ale (WLP013)
1/2 teaspoon isinglass for fining
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:

Steep the 6 grains in 3 gallons of water at 150º F for 30 minutes. Strain out the grains, and add the malto-dextrin and malt syrup and return to a boil. When the wort begins boiling, add Northern Brewer hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add the Liberty hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Cool wort in an ice bath or with wort chiller. Transfer to primary fermenter and add enough cold water to bring the volume up to 5.5 gallons. Pitch yeast and oxygenate-aerate well. Ferment this beer on the warm side, at 72º F as per the brewer’s instructions, for 7 to 10 days. Add the isinglass to the beer after fermentation is complete to help achieve clarity. Prime, bottle and age for about two weeks.

I was just at thirsty dog brewery a few weeks ago..if you like ole leghumper try there Siberian night stout..its off the hook..and if you like citrus ipas there citra dog I love

Back