Sour Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I just brewed up a Belgian Wit with 50/50 white wheat and pils and some flaked oats, along with the usual orange and coriander. I pitched the Wyeast Forbidden Fruit and started thinking... I have some Lacto, WL vial, and was wondering how this sounds for half the batch. Adding the lacto and some fresh bing cherries to make kind of a sour cherry wheat, is this Berliner-esque? Is this even a good idea, will the lacto just blow through all the yeast characteristics? I was thinking I would maybe just leave it on the lacto long enough to get a mild sour effect. If this is feasible, when do I rack and add the lacto? Been in primary for a whopping 4 days, lol.. Also, leave the cherries whole and freeze them then add them, or cut them and then freeze and add?

OK. First of all the cherry idea sounds awesome. One thing to keep in mind is that fresh cherries are going to bring a certain amount of tartness on their own. In addition, my experience with the FF yeast is that it ages quite well and the flavors really mellow. When I brew my wit we actually add a small portion of acidulated malt to bring in some of that tart "crispness" that can be associated with the style so the lacto would be kind of in the same area. Another thing to consider would be making a cherry puree to really up the surface area that is in contact with the brew. If they react similarly to strawberries that I've used in a BW you will get some tartness and can use straight lactic to control the amount of tartness. Keep us updated.

So, I am thinking of making a small starter of the lacto and then pureeing the cherries and adding them via cheesecloth, sound good? When should I add the lacto, let the FF ferment out all the way, or pitch ASAP?

trying to resurrect this thread... Made a small starter of Lacto, 500 ml at about 1.030 and pitched the vial of WL Lacto, since then, no activity, smelled it tonight, smells like wort. Have it sitting in a window trying to keep it warm, not working to well. Should I swirl it at all, add some nutrient or apple juice or something to kick it in gear? Not sure the best way to keep it warm, I do not have a window that gets sun all day that will work, little kids, so not sure what to do.
As for the cherries, my grocery store, where I work, has Bing in stock and I can get them at cost. How many cherries, in lbs, should I add for about 3 gallons of brew with the lacto? My plan is to take the stems off, slice them in half and remove the pits, puree and freeze for a few days to breaks the cell walls and then add to the fermentor. Do I need to sanitize them at some point? Also is it safe to let them sit in secondary with the lacto for a long time?
The base for this beer, a Wit w Wyeast Forbidden Fruit has been fermenting nicely in my basement at an ambient temp of about 64F. I will check gravity tomorrow, but there is still a layer of yeast, rafts, on the top and very little airlock activity. I know the activity means nothing, but does anyone think I should put this baby on my brewpad and warm it up a little? Or should I just rack 3 gallons to secondary and pitch the fruit and lacto and let her ride out?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this beer is special to me, my wife's Mom passed away 9 years ago and her favorite fruit was Bing cherries so i am making this for her 10th anniv. and calling Bing Sherri, after her mom, to honor her. I want this to be good. I appreciate all the help and advice for a new sour/wild brewer!

Back