Heresy!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I got home last night and I was kind of thirsty. I went in the fridge, pulled out a Miller Lite and I drank it. And I LIKED IT. So I pulled out another one and I drank it, AND I LIKED IT, TOO.

There. It's out now. I've said it. Actually it's kind of a freeing experience.

Seriously, I've always liked Miller Lite. Somehow they really have managed to make a product that's exactly like the ads said all those years: tastes great, less filling. As much as I love my homebrew and also trying all different kinds of imports and micro-brews, I've gotta say that sometimes, for me at least, a Miller Lite is a refreshing, thirst quenching option that actually tastes good.

I think that maybe the key is in not trying to compare it directly to beers that are completely different products. I mean, you wouldn't compare a Bartles and James wine cooler to that $50 bottle of cabernet you've had sitting down in the cellar for 5 years, now would you? Yet both in their own ways can be good and very enjoyable to drink. But, they're apples and oranges. Likewise, a pint of guinness at your local pub, or a Dogfish 60 Minute IPA are simply completely different products than a Miller Lite is.

Now, I suppose you could try comparing the Lite to an imported Czech or German Pilsner. That might be more fair I think. Even then, who buys that stuff to guzzled after they come in the house from mowing the back 40 on a 90 degree day?

I can't do it. The only light beer I can drink is Sam Adams Light, but it really isn't a light. They just have no flavor. It's like drinking beer flavored water. If I'm in the mood for a light beer I ususally go for Budweiser or Molson Canadian.

:eek:

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little...

Kidding, we all have our guilty pleasures. Mine is PBR. it makes me feel so hip and punk rock. (and at $2.99 a sixer you really can't go wrong)

Miller Lite, that I can't quite choke down. But I do like PBR, so I'll let it slide. :D But yeah, just as you said, it's a different kettle of fish. Sometimes I like something simple and cold.

No heresy. Personally, I'm usually hitting the Canadian lagers for lawnmower beers, but nothing wrong with Lite.

Now, if you said Mich Ultra........ ;)

gasp!
seriously, i just can't choke down a "light" beer.
my cheapo beer of choice is Icehouse. not bad on flavor, but high ABV! its all about the buzz baby!

gonzoflick said:
Screw Miller Lite... Miller High Life is the way to go...."Champagne of beers" baby

quoted for truth....

i enjoy miller products in the hot hot summer. also in the cold cold winter watching football with the guys.

Something about Miller High Life in the 24oz can is yummy sometimes. So is Icehouse actually.

Normally I'd prefer a hoppy IPA, but occasionally a 'Murrican Lager is good.

I don't touch the Light stuff per say, but I've been known to seriously throw some Budweiser down when I'm on the cheap.

In fact, that's the plan for the upcoming Memorial Day camping trip: a case or two of Bud with maybe a 12 pack of Newcastle / Shiner / Blue Moon for meals when I'll want a little something better to go with ribs... and b/c SWMBO can't stomache a full weekend of just Bud anymore without a "good one" thrown in on occasion.

May be I'm not a full blown alcoholic yet, but if really thirsty it's water, ice tea, lemonade . . . Beer's for getting buzzed, accompanying good food, great flavor . . . did I say getting buzzed?

Just say no to bad beer!!!!

I love me a cold Miller Lite personally........

it's a good beer. most beer snobs like to jump on the I hate BMC bandwagon though. Its just another style of beer. Myself, well I HATE belgiums. But do I run around preaching how much they suck? no......

sorry, touchy subject. Its just that its a style of beer that gets the short end of the stick all too often. But I'd like to see any one of you beer snobs try and produce the same beer on that quanity over and over again like the big boys.

/rant

That's the beauty of having choices and being able to make our own decisions!!! Do what you like and what makes you happy.

To those who hate them, you have to remember that these beers usually win or rank very highly in their categories at the GABF each year, for American Lager and American Light Lager.

You may not like them, but they're a very good representation of their style.

I drank enough of the "Big 3" in my younger days top make up for my older days.

My "mower" beer is now Newcastle, Boulevard, Linenkugle, J W Dundee Honey Brown.

But I really miss my Oly.:( :mug:

Cant stand any BMC, and never could.
I don't drink to get buzzed, in fact I don't like the feeling of more than a light buzz.
I enjoy the flavor of a good beer, and prefer darker and/or hoppier beers.
If that is not available then unsweetened iced tea or water is great to drink. If I'm thirsty then I drink water. I usually will have a glass of water and a beer with my dinner.
To me the BMC beers or any light lager tastes about the same, and that is not a good thing.
Craig

Its still beer. Its as different from an IPA as an IPA is from a Belgian Wit. Personally I love beer, in many, many different types, and try to appreciate all that I can. Its a light lager, its not meant to have a powerful taste, its meant to be just what it is. Clean and refreshing, light taste, good carbonation, not very filling.

I'm a pretty firm believer that EVERY beer has it's place.. the only rule to this is that it has to taste at least kind of like beer..

mic. ultra. = club soda.
and i'm not sure what to think about the new fruit flavored mic. ultra beers.. yikes..

"I don't drink to get buzzed, in fact I don't like the feeling of more than a light buzz."

And I smoked pot, but didn't inhale . . . .

anoldur said:
"I don't drink to get buzzed, in fact I don't like the feeling of more than a light buzz."

And I smoked pot, but didn't inhale . . . .

Heh. But seriously, it's rare that I want to get all trashed. Usually it's pretty inconvenient, I'd like to be able to drink a few with lunch and not wrap my car around a playground or nunnery or something. :drunk:

I've never understood why some people who, because they don't like something, will insist that it is crap and try to convince the world that this is so(usually in the loudest of voices) As was said earlier in this thread, BMC types are considered America Lagers and are actually one of the most difficult styles to get right. If you don't like it, don't drink it. But calling it dog piss isn't being honest, unless someone out there knows first hand what dog piss tastes like;)

waskelton4 said:
I'm a pretty firm believer that EVERY beer has it's place.. the only rule to this is that it has to taste at least kind of like beer..

mic. ultra. = club soda.
and i'm not sure what to think about the new fruit flavored mic. ultra beers.. yikes..

I agree. I'd much rather drink my own beer or a nice quality micro, but if I go over to one of my buddies house and they have Bud Lite, I'll drink a couple.

My personal BMC guilty pleasure is Bud Ice. I always have at least a 12 of Bud Ice and GLBC's Dortmunder Gold around the house somewhere (in addition to all of the other beer that I make/purchase).

I personally am not a big fan of the american light lager. Like others have mentioned, I find them rather tasteless. The bar that is by my house that I frequent, has no "good" beer, all they have is american light lager. Not even so much as an Amber Bock...but when I go I do drink Miller Lite. Call it the lesser of a few evils I guess. Personally I think Budweiser is the best tasting of all of them, but for whatever reason, my stomach cant handle it. I get the worst hangovers from Bud.

I am not going to sit around and tell people it is beer water, or that it is not really beer or anything else. To each his own. A good chunk of my friends cant stand dark beers, or overly hoppy beers. What is funny to me though is that when people start arguing which light lager is best. Going back to that bar I was talking about, you have a handful of people who drink bud light, a handful that drink Busch, a handful that drink miller light, and a handful that drink busch light and every now and then an argument will break out over which one is better. I always find that amusing because I would bet $100 you could pour each one of them in an unmarked cup and not a single one of them would be able to tell them apart.

cubbies said:
I am not going to sit around and tell people it is beer water, or that it is not really beer or anything else. To each his own. A good chunk of my friends cant stand dark beers, or overly hoppy beers. What is funny to me though is that when people start arguing which light lager is best. Going back to that bar I was talking about, you have a handful of people who drink bud light, a handful that drink Busch, a handful that drink miller light, and a handful that drink busch light and every now and then an argument will break out over which one is better. I always find that amusing because I would bet $100 you could pour each one of them in an unmarked cup and not a single one of them would be able to tell them apart.

good point

I mean, in the end we're all still sitting around having a beer with each other right? Who cares what we're drinking. I may not like what you have in your glass but Im not going to sit there and tell you what you're drinking is dog piss because that would be just plain ignorant of me.

I live in a small town where everyone knows Im a brewer. And quite a few people have come over and enjoyed many kegs at my place. Then when I go out and am in the mood to drink multiple pitchers of beer on the cheap, I drink Lite. They just cant figure out why......I try to explain the beauty of beers, and how theres a style for every occasion.

But I then I continue reading these posts and just give up.

waskelton4 said:
I'm a pretty firm believer that EVERY beer has it's place.

Oh, I agree fully. Like Blue Moon's "place" is in the trash. Miller Lite's "place" is at a frat party where guys are piercing a hole in the side of the can with their keys so that they can do a shotgun. :D

Seriously, I'm with some of the other guys here when I say that American Piss Lager is a style like any other, and it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. It's a simplistic style, devoid of character and interest, but a style nonetheless

But I'll temper that by saying that it brings alot of that hate on itself by talking about all the flavor they have.

I remember Papazian saying once, a lonnnnggggg time ago, "If you want to beechwood age your brew like Bud, tape chunks of beechwood on the outside of your fermenter. Thats about as close as Bud gets."

I've been to the brewery in St. Louis, he's pretty much right.

On a real hot day, I won't turn down just about anything thats brewed with malt and hops and is ice cold!!!!

2nd Street Brewery said:
But calling it dog piss isn't being honest, unless someone out there knows first hand what dog piss tastes like;)

Let's see a show of hands. Be honest now.
hand.gif

Evan! said:
Oh, I agree fully. Like Blue Moon's "place" is in the trash. Miller Lite's "place" is at a frat party where guys are piercing a hole in the side of the can with their keys so that they can do a shotgun. :D

WTF with Blue Moon? It's pretty much crap. High Life is brewed locally(60mi?) and is pretty good around here. Budweiser usually tastes good to me. So far I've only brewed ales, which I prefer. All of which have been relatively successful. I plan on brewing my 1st lager this fall or winter(new garage). Every beer has its place, even BMC. They're trying to sell the most beer. If they didn't think what they were brewing would do this, they would change the recipe. Folloow the $$$$

I like Blue Moon! Alright, it's not the best example of a wit, but I think it's just fine. :D

I disagree with the Blue Moon bashing. Sure, it's a bit on the bland side to suit the average American lager drinking palate, but it's introducing a lot of people to a style they had no idea existed. For example, my Dad was a die-hard Old Milwaukee/High Life/Keystone Light drinker until he tried Blue Moon. Now, he's had Hoegaarden, my Christmas wit, and has discovered a few other styles he previously wouldn't have considered. Say what you want about Blue Moon and it's style-incorrectness, but it's broadening the American beer palate...even if just a little.

...and there's nothing wrong with enjoying the occasional American macro-lager. After all, it's beer. It's made with barley, hops, yeast, and water (and a bunch of flavorless adjuncts). Just appreciate it for what it is: the easy drinking soda pop of beer.

/*
* Rant starting...
*/

EACs abounding...

Beer terrorism... Waging the war.... Would BMC be the weapon of mass destruction?

Blooming eck lads just let people drink what they want. I don't come to your work and tell you how to sweep up, do I?

/*
* Rant ending...
*/

Evan! said:
Miller Lite's "place" is at a frat party where guys are piercing a hole in the side of the can with their keys so that they can do a shotgun. :D

With their keys? What the hell? Sissies...

Use your damn teeth or go home!

My BIL drinks miller lite and loves the heck out of it. I have dubbed it "frosting" as it tastes alot sweeter to me than my old stand by...............coors light..................of course, talk about flavored water. i suppose that is why i add a bit of spicy V-8 juice to the beer. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Recently I was out at a bar and a friend of a friend was going on and on to the waitress that Bud Light is the best beer made by man.

I don't know why it bothered me so much but it just did. :cross:

Hopleaf said:
Recently I was out at a bar and a friend of a friend was going on and on to the waitress that Bud Light is the best beer made by man.

I don't know why it bothered me so much but it just did. :cross:

Does he he know that you homebrew? It sounds like he was trying to get to you?!?

Gotta throw back some Lone Star if I'm at a Rockabilly Show. Old habits die hard. Anyone outside of Texas, Change Lone Star to (Cheap college grade sub BMC level beer)

Back