Any idead for a good Wit BIAB recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I have made a couple of wheat beer "Hoegarden Clone" type recipes using extract recently, but have been disappointed. What I get tastes about 60% right, but the colour is very dark, and definitely does not resemble a cloudy white beer.

So, I am going to give BIAB a go, as I have all the gear for this, but would appreciate any advice on a good recipe to use. I really like Hoegarden, and on a recent trip to Hawaii (I come from New Zealand) I was introduced to Blue Moon, which I also really liked, so a recipe that creates something similar to either of these two would be most appreciated.

Also, we cant get bitter peel here in NZ, apparently the one distributor who bought it in no longer does. Any recommendations for an alternative?, can fresh oranges be used?

Thanks in advance!

A witbier need not be hard, and it's a perfect candidate for BIAB since clarity is never an issue. My only experience with BIAB was a wit, and it was pretty simple. I lost the recipe I brewed that day, but it was along the lines of 40% pilsner, 50% wheat, and 10% flaked oats (the old fashioned kind), only one bittering addition to hit ~15 IBUs, about 0.75 oz orange zest (make sure not to get the white pith in there) and 0.5 oz coriander, fermented with Wyeast 3944. Kegged it up for a friend's birthday party, and it was drained in about an hour.

Back